• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adding an air quick coupler

Coalman

I am wanting to ad an air quick coupler to the air line so I can inflate tires or if need be run air tools off truck ( I do have a air compressor I just want to be able to use in field or in a bind) Where is the best place to tap in Also any suggestions on best place to mount the quick coupler Thanks

Vintage iron

Just buy a Glad hand and thread a quick coupler into that. This way you can use it on the front or the back or either side. I always put a male quick coupler with a shut off on the air tanks too. This way you can air up the tanks if you lose you compressor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost as good as the glad hand, you have a valve under the map compartment for this purpose.

steelandcanvas

Just for what it's worth, this product is a good idea, however I have found PVC air hose to be quite uncooperative, especially in cold weather. A guy at work gave me a couple of PVC air hoses, and I didn't know why until I got it home and put air to them. The natual rubber works well in all climates, but is more expensive. Just my 2cents.

I don't want use the glad handle I am planning on mounting a permanent Quick coupler
If you want to use your coupler for air tools, the gladhand will provide you with a lot more air volume over the connection under the map compartment.

Last edited:

VP17IFT

my quick coupler

I replaced the elbow between the valve and glad hand with a T and ran the quick coupler from that on the passenger (emergency) side, if i need to air up the tanks without the engine running i have a double male connector to hook up my compressor.

Darwin T

if you want to plumb in a air coupling, on the right side glad hand connection remove the 90 degree elbow behind the glad hand and put a t fitting. then you can mount the glad hand and the quick connect. in these pictures you can see the end of my quick connect. thats not what the pictures were for so they are not real clear. i did change the gladhands to ones with the valve on the outside so it is easier to reach when i did mine.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diito on this one. Can not get any easier. Unscrew cap, install air chuck. Turn valve on.

It CAN get easier.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...-hose-reel-maybe-rear-winch-2.html#post683852

I installed a hose reel above my fuel tank. I tapped into the air tank with a hi flo QD connection on top of the inboard air tank. That way if the hose is ever cut or damaged I can disconnect the reel and not lose air pressure. I don't need to find a place to store my hose, I just grab hold and pull out what I need, just like in my garage.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with Doghead there is what you are looking for quick and easy under the dash. Has correct npt thread commong out just screw the quick coupler to that and you are done.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It CAN get easier.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...-hose-reel-maybe-rear-winch-2.html#post683852

I installed a hose reel above my fuel tank. I tapped into the air tank with a hi flo QD connection on top of the inboard air tank. That way if the hose is ever cut or damaged I can disconnect the reel and not lose air pressure. I don't need to find a place to store my hose, I just grab hold and pull out what I need, just like in my garage.
Some of you guys are just ingenious.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you're all talking about the Deuce here, but I thought I'd share what I did on my M818 to give some more ideas.

I tapped into the old trailer emergency air hook up. I kept the existing trailer shut-off valve and installed a 1/2" pipe along side my tool/utility box. The 1/2" line terminates with a ball valve and a 1/2" quick disconnect. There is a flexible rubber line between between old trailer shut-off and the new new pipe. The pic of the flexible line is older as I now have lengthened it and installed quick disconnects in the middle of the line to accommodate an air pig. I also carry 3/8" and 1/4" quick disconnect adapters.

This set up is easier to use than the rear emergency glad hand. I use this connection along with an air pig when we changed all ten tires and when I air up the tires.

The set ups between trucks may be different, but I hope this may help you along with your install.

Attachments

AN/ARC186

I replaced the elbow between the valve and glad hand with a T and ran the quick coupler from that on the passenger (emergency) side, if i need to air up the tanks without the engine running i have a double male connector to hook up my compressor.
We did the same thing on srodockers truck, also added a valve before the coupler to prevent leakage when not in use.
It's worked out great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks