• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding an i-beam trolley crane to M1079 van body

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested in adding some cargo handling capability to my M1079 (van body). After giving it a fair amount of thought, I came up with the idea of an I-beam trolley system suspended from the ceiling of the van body. The i-beam itself would be on 2 sets of rollers to slide out the rear door for 4 feet. The trolley (with winch) would roll the length of the i-beam. This would enable me, with the proper rigging, to lift pallets into the back of my van body.

I'm interested in about a 1000 lb. lift capacity. The i-beam, trolley, rollers and winch would weigh about 250 lbs. for about 1250 lbs total.

But here is my question: Will the van body and ceiling handle this weight?

I read somewhere the van body roof was rated for a 100 psi point load, but that's all I could find.

radbad

The roof is very sturdy with aluminum braces at regular spacings. The trick will be figuring out how to mount into all of those.

This past week, I had a max of 12 people on the roof at a festival - all standing on the back 2/3 of the roof due to solar panels on the front. We had maybe 1800lb up there. Not a point load, but the roof didn't care one bit.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I tried this using pipe and an aluminum I beam from a M548 tracked ammo carrier and used the trolley hoist from same. Great idea but the pipe was too weak. The deuce winch I was trying to lift bent down and it led to some excitement.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I used to throw a 4x6 pressure treated on top of my M109a3. I had an eyelet drilled into it and used that to lift heavy stuff into the box. Only one ratchet strap was needed to hold the the 4x6 down, up by the cab. it wasn't easy to swing things in the door, but it worked well and set up quick!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to throw a 4x6 pressure treated on top of my M109a3. I had an eyelet drilled into it and used that to lift heavy stuff into the box. Only one ratchet strap was needed to hold the the 4x6 down, up by the cab. it wasn't easy to swing things in the door, but it worked well and set up quick!
AKA, the gimpyrobb kickstand. Can double as rollover protection?:whistle:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks