• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding bells and whistles

Lothar

Just wanted to share some things I've added and will be adding to my truck. This is my first attempt at uploading pictures so I might have to do some experimenting. This M35A3 was purchased from C&C Surplus, it is a 1995 with 13k miles on the odometer. My plan is to make it into a welding truck that I can use in the event my regular work truck breaks down. And I also intend to use it for recovery, camping, and other mountain fun

First off, I had this addition planned long before I bought the truck. I can only take credit for tightening the bolts on these very nice hubsteps from Jesse (thanks Jesse)

Next I tried to come up with a compact stowable boarding ladder.

I bought a Ratpack toolbox that barely fit where the spare used to be. Added some angle iron to its base and bolted it up to some brackets I made.

Haven't completed this next part, it is a pair of mounts with teflon inlays that hold a couple hi-lift jacks. As you can see I have yet to make the tops, or give the jacks a proper coat of paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lothar

Here is a shot of the switch panel I put in to control the 12v power from that converter. Also the go light controller that will hopefully simultaneously control 2 lights. Having a time with the lights, had to send one of them back. I hope that they will end up lasting a while despite their Chinese construction, but I'm beginning to have doubts. Anyone have good experience with these lights?
001.jpg

Lothar

The Golight came back from repair, so I put it back on. It was in use for about 15 minutes combined when it stopped working. The repairman said it had a bad motor. So, I'm hoping it has a good motor now. I was primarily influenced to buy it by the light's claimed ability to be synchronized onto one controller. After installing a pair, It is my opinion that this function operates poorly at best. It is impossible to turn 180 degrees and still have two lights pointing in the same direction. While they will both turn at the same time, the speed is off. While I was talking to the manufacturer's representative, I was told that there is a minute difference in speed. Guess that's a relative term because I think the difference is such that it makes synchronization impossible. Considering the high cost and seemingly low quality of these lights, I would not purchase them if I had to do it over. I now regret drilling holes in my roof to accommodate them. If they end up lasting a long time, my opinion may change. But as I've said, already sent one back. Here are a couple pictures of the truck with the new lights.

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck and some great additions! The step is just brilliant and elegant in design. :beer:

Please keep posting pictures!

Storm 51

Lothar

This modification to a rockwell axle is not for my truck, it is for a friends rock crawler. Undoubtedly it has been featured elsewhere in the forum, but I thought it was interesting enough to share here. It gains about 1 3/4 inches of clearance and is more than twice as thick than the original steel. It's called a mohawk.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This modification to a rockwell axle is not for my truck, it is for a friends rock crawler. Undoubtedly it has been featured elsewhere in the forum, but I thought it was interesting enough to share here. It gains about 1 3/4 inches of clearance and is more than twice as thick than the original steel. It's called a mohawk.
sure not much gear oil in that rear

Lothar

sure not much gear oil in that rear
Right you are. I don't think it will be an issue for him though. It isn't a street vehicle. It primarily rolls over the mountains at a slow pace. Probably goes 25 mph top speed between campsite and playground.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks