• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding tach to older deuce

JasonS

I would like to add a tach to my '53 M35. I have a tach drive for the gas engine (driven at 1/2 crank speed). Are the multifuel tachs designed for 1/2 engine speed? Does the tach use a 0.104" square drive like most speedometers? I am assuming that the whole dash and gauge panel needs to be swapped.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about speed or the size but I can comment on the dash. I've seen many an older deuce repower with the tach added below the dash. If you decide to go multiuel style, you will need to replace the entire dash and gauge panel. In addition to that, there is a horiontal support that goes from the firewall to the dash right by the steering column. This will need to be changed or trimmed as well as the indentation of the dash at the gauge panel is much closer to the steering column.

carguy455

Tach-y

Ya I had that same idea too , but not like you can run out and find a tach for them, if using a gas engine isnt the RPM range on a Multi Fuel tach going to read wrong ? Where can I get a tach drive for a gas engine ? Or a tach for that matter ? Anyone out there got photos of an add on tach in an early deuce or M37 ? Not like you can add on an aftermarket electric tach on these, OR even find one that would be 24v anyway, or is there ???

Ideas gentleman ??????????

mangus580

You could also enlist an electronics expert like Bjorn to help you figure out what resistor you would need to just use a 12v tach as well....

JasonS

The deuce tachs on ebay go to 3500 rpm which is plenty. As far as I know, the only issue regarding the mechanical tachs is whether they are 1/2 or at crank speed.

I got a tach drive, civvy distributor, and a full flow filter/ oil cooler for $20 from an OH200 at a "local" salvage yard. These engines were used for a lot of years in several truck makes.

There are cheap 24volt tachs on ebay (VDO 3k rpm for $29) but they don't really look like they belong. If you want to, you can use a 7812 voltage regulator with a 12V tachometer. A resistor is not a good choice.

Anyone know if the multifuel tach is 1/2 crank speed?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, i'm gonna go and get the troop sides tomorrow. The place that has them has complete dash instrument panels with all the gauges. Don't know if they work, but want me to pick some up? Don't know how much, but I can ask and let you know.

carguy455

Find out how much, probably multi fuel dash's though, not gassers.

I'm thinking I might go for the add on tach, not origional to the truck but nice to know whats going on with the old girl rpm wise.

JasonS

Carguy,
Do a search on ebay for this number 4645609638. It is a new VDO 24V, electronic 3krpm tach for $9.99. I can send you the instructions for hookup. It also has an hour meter. You would probably want to buy a cup for mounting. It is a nice tach but looks out of place in a deuce.

I'll send you some pics of the mechanical tach drive later this evening.

carguy455

JasonS said:
Carguy,
Do a search on ebay for this number 4645609638. It is a new VDO 24V, electronic 3krpm tach for $9.99. I can send you the instructions for hookup. It also has an hour meter. You would probably want to buy a cup for mounting. It is a nice tach but looks out of place in a deuce.

I'll send you some pics of the mechanical tach drive later this evening.
Way cool Jason Thanky mucho !!! [thumbzup]

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the dash panel pic. He charged me 45.00 for the whole thing. If you would like the tach, ti works when you spin the back, let me know. I picked it up 'cause I figure it's good to have spares.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks