• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjust brakes?

cbvet

We've got two deuces, with very "different" brakes.
1952 M35, has great brakes with only about 2.5" of pedal travel & no sponginess at all.
1970 M35A2 stops okay, but the pedal goes down over 1/2 way. I always pump the brakes a couple of times to build up pedal. I don't like it.
I've bled all the wheels & the booster twice.
What do you guys think?
Might the booster be causing the problem?
Master cylinder worn?
I haven't gone around & adjusted the brakes, I guess just because it's such a pita to do.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Eric

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I got mine, the pedal was kind of lower than I would have preferred. I went around and adjusted all 6 and it made a big difference. Make sure to pay attention to the TM in this arena; it claims the "major" adjustment (bottom pins) are only done with new shoes and that the "minor" adjustment (upper pins) are for periodic maintenance (i.e. adjusting for lining wear)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sponginess on mine was a severely empty master cylinder.. it took 4 years and 20K miles to slowly 'use' the fluid. shoes are still excellent!

acetomatoco

Yup... there are 25 adjustments to make... and the MC and the airpak cannot compensate for them when they all add uop... do your PM....only takes a coupla hours...