• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjust FDC on the fly???

Green Toys

Green Toys, do you have a part number for that cable? I've seen a few on ebay for a hummer, but I'm afraid the cable is too short for this.
I'll see what I can find I know that it is not a military cable is an aftermarket Product from a local parts store I'll post more with the pictures and information Hopefully this weekend.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think I recall NAPA being mentioned on pirate4x4 as to having them. I'm actually going to need two, so I thought I'd find a source for them, or at least a part number. Autozone (bleah!) didn't have anything but choke cables. (One will be to fine tune the throttle on my samurai for the welder/generator.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You guys have been watching too many 1980's TV shows

Attachments

Green Toys

OK here is the 10 cent tour.

If you look over the pictures I thing you can figure it out. Take the FDC off the truck. Remove the top cover 3 small bolts. Remove the pin holding u link on the underside. Remove the u-link that connects the ramp to the shaft. Pull the shaft and plunger out of the top and toss. OK this is the part that you need some mechanical skill to perform.
I don’t know exactly what cable I used b/c I had it laying around the house. Check out this like for an example, (http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs-img/250860819-Throttle-Control-with-2m-Cable-wholesalers.html) If you look at the picuters you will see most of the end missing from the cable. You have to take the inner core out and cut the cable-end near the end of the threads. Leaving just enough to bolt through the lid of the FDC, oyea, drill just the right size hole in the center of the FDC lid. OK I know not enough description but you will figure it out. The critical part is a follows. You need to make a new shaft to connect the cable to the ramp. I did this using a long soft ¼” bolt, b/c it seals in fdc housing. Drill a small hole in the side of one end for the u-link. The other end is a bit more difficult. As you can see in the pictures the core of the cable is steel. You have to drill down into the center of the bolt. It needs to be a good fit. Next you crimp the bolt around the cable using a tool used to crimp speedometer cables. It works well. Of course you will have to fit and cut a few times but you get the point of it. This is by far the best mod EVER.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Attachments

Green Toys

Not yet ... but only because I had been very busy with school and everything else since your post. I still have it on my list.

How have has your truck been doing with the mod since your last post?.

oddshot
I've had a blast! I've put around 6k miles on it with many 60k pound loads. Only problem was when the motor seemed to be making even more power with out the egt's going up. After about the 3rd trip I found the problem. My egt gauge was not reading correctly. But it gave me a great opertunity to upgrade the head gaskets. Took about 8 hours start to finish. Now there is a new Pyro meter on the steering column. I love my truck!

oddshot

What are you running for fuel?

Do you have any idea of the MPG's you are getting?

What temp are you keeping the exhaust at?

Is there a "T" handle or a knob on the dash for the operator's control?

BTW ... I copied all the pictures you posted ... and I've saved the text of your post to my own library. AS soon as I get some slack time ... this project comes right after I get the pre-luber done.

Thanks!

oddshot

Green Toys

What are you running for fuel?

Do you have any idea of the MPG's you are getting?

What temp are you keeping the exhaust at?

Is there a "T" handle or a knob on the dash for the operator's control?

BTW ... I copied all the pictures you posted ... and I've saved the text of your post to my own library. AS soon as I get some slack time ... this project comes right after I get the pre-luber done.

Thanks!

oddshot
Fuel=what ever I can find. Now half wmo half old#2
MPG= empty @ 55 =15 MPG
60k lbs= 5 mpg

I run 1200 get loaded all day long

The handle is a locking knob that screws in and out or push button release

peashooter

I think I recall NAPA being mentioned on pirate4x4 as to having them. I'm actually going to need two, so I thought I'd find a source for them, or at least a part number. Autozone (bleah!) didn't have anything but choke cables. (One will be to fine tune the throttle on my samurai for the welder/generator.
Did anyone ever find out what a good cable was to use on this?

EDIT... nevermind, I see Gimpyrobb said it was a Vernier throttle cable

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Peashooter, you will want to make sure you get a solid core wire on the vernier throttle cable in order to push/pull. Some have a stranded center wire that is only good for pulling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks