• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adjustable pintle hitch receiver?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All-
I have a M105 trailer and to move it around with my truck, I bought this:

Screenshot_20211010-155032_Amazon Shopping.jpg

While it works, the receiver on my pickup (a Ram 1500 Warlock) is really much too low for practical use. I have to pick the trailer up, fold the landing gear then drop it about a foot and a half and rock it forward to land it in the receiver, then the angle is really ridiculous. Between the weight and low height of the hitch, it really isn't practical for use.

Is there such a thing as an adjustable pintle receiver/ball? I would honestly need at least a foot of height in order to safely tow my trailer.

Any help is always appreciated!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, found this beast, but a pintle receiver is not an option. I've reached out to the company to see if maybe it is...

View attachment 847544
Just remember that when you have it turned over for your pickup, there is a LOT of leverage against your hitch point. I wouldn't drag that trailer more than empty with your truck. I had one on my M-1088 and it was twice as beefy as the picture above. When I pulled the pins, they were bent. The hitch was cracked too. Previous owner pulled big boats with it - and in my opinion - eventually the hitch would have broken.

Got a few pictures below from a previous post.

And yes, this was a ball because the truck already had a pintle.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that when you have it turned over for your pickup, there is a LOT of leverage against your hitch point. I wouldn't drag that trailer more than empty with your truck. I had one on my M-1088 and it was twice as beefy as the picture above. When I pulled the pins, they were bent. The hitch was cracked too. Previous owner pulled big boats with it - and in my opinion - eventually the hitch would have broken.

Got a few pictures below from a previous post.

And yes, this was a ball because the truck already had a pintle.
Thanks. And no, wouldn't pull the trailer loaded. Strictly for moving it unloaded and short distances because sometimes the effort of maneuvering the 5 ton in and out of where I want to move it is more of a PITA than the effort, so I dont... 🤷‍♂️

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,

Fab a 90 degree bracket, with the top flange lining up with two of the bolts on the bottom of your 5-ton front bumper driver side, the other flange drilled to accept the 4 bolts of a regular pintle hook.

Put it together and you'll be SO HAPPY moving trailers around that way.

It won't cost you a bunch of simolians, either.

ps...Going down the highway in reverse will take a bit of practice, lol

pps...Ball hitches still suck! There's a reason tacticals don't have them.

DG

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my first M1101 I used the less expensive riser to get the pintle up to the height of the lunette ring- I would come to regret that. The one I bought was less expensive because it was rated lower, and was also a bit smaller. So while making a sharp turn in the Sears parking lot, the pintle bound up in the ring and bent the riser a little before it popped loose.

Like the Sears, that trailer and riser setup is gone now. When I won my second M1101 trailer I went with a much heavier duty pintle and riser. I haven't had any binding issues with it.

When the trailer is empty you don't worry so much about it- it's easy to forget it's even back there it's so light. With a yard of gravel in the back, or a pallet of landscape blocks, the heavier riser and pintle are very... comforting.

Guyfang

Staff member
Ken,

Fab a 90 degree bracket, with the top flange lining up with two of the bolts on the bottom of your 5-ton front bumper driver side, the other flange drilled to accept the 4 bolts of a regular pintle hook.

Put it together and you'll be SO HAPPY moving trailers around that way.

It won't cost you a bunch of simolians, either.

ps...Going down the highway in reverse will take a bit of practice, lol

pps...Ball hitches still suck! There's a reason tacticals don't have them.

DG
Ken,

G744 has it right. In the motor pool, we only moved trailers around with two trucks we mounted a pintle hook to. And yes, take a few time to get the feel for it. But way easier for short little moves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks