• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice for Mechanicsburg recovery?

sgtrisk

I'm heading up to M-burg this evening to recover my M105A2 trailer, at long last! Anything I should be aware of, either dealing with Mechanicsburg or recovering my first trailer?

I'll be towing it with a good sized 4x4 truck, using temporary lights. I'll take a spare tire (from my M109A3), jack and tire changing tools. Short of a wheel coming off ( :shock: ) I can't think of much else that might go wrong.

Thanks, and pics tomorrow!

Sephirothq

A trailer is an easy one. If you have one with teh service and the emergency brake system make sure the brakes are released. Make sure the parking brakes are off as well. You have the lights covered. and Mike is a good guy to deal with. So they shouldn't be too many problems. YOu will of course need a pintle hook. What i have done in the past to help towing is to flip the luneete over. It might be possible it might not. If it isn't all rusted up just bring a pair of cutters, a 1-1/2" wrench and a new cotter key.

Flipping the luneete is optional. They close at 1400. YOu will need to be on the list to get onto the base
good luck.

dittle

Pulling with a M105A2 with a pick up should be easy enough. I picked mine up with my F350 and didn't even know it was there. I had the same setup as you (i.e. temp lights) and bought a pintle setup from Northern Tool. If it has the racks/bows up I would take those down to lessen any wind resistance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Might want to try tighening the lug nuts. It will take very little time and might save you a rim and tire and/or lots of rebuild work.

sgtrisk

I've got the pintle angle covered, complete with a bracket to adjust the height (although the truck is pretty hight already!)

I've worked with Mike before... very nice fellow.

I wondered if I should take the cover and bows down. I will. And I'll check the lug nuts, too. You're right, a few minutes doing that would save a LOT of headache!! I'll also stop somewhere ASAP and put air in the tires (I'm assuming that they'll need it).

Thanks for the last minute advice, guys! I'll check in again tonight from the hotel!

Monty

When I picked up my 101 from IN I checked the air in the tires and jacked it up and felt the bearings, everything was a-ok. Pulled behind a Dodge 1tn like a dream, I had to get use to backing up such a short trailer kinda forgot what it was like......

Good luck and take pictures:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks