• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

African Queen Update

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Very Nice! I have seen very few M16's around this area and they are always Impressive. To Live Fire one with all four rocking is on my Bucket List.

I also like the spotlight? that was next to it in the first picture. Or is that the weapon platform?

I wish you lived closer as I would like to Crew that Guntruck.

Thanks for keeping another Armored Halftrack Alive. And the prior owner as well.

Last edited:

waayfast

Mark,
I have followed the story of this track over the years and just want to let you know this is in my humble opinion, the coolest recovery/restore story on here and the "other"mv sites as well.

Truly inspiring.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I also have to ponder if the spotlights were ever mounted to
another conveyance. Like the M10 ammunition trailer, or a double caisson setup.

Outstanding!

1943ht

So appreciate the feedback!!!

That is the M45F Maxson Turret sitting next to the track in the desert in Africa. The French pulled the turret out, cut out the gun compartment bulkhead, and mounted a missile launcher inside the track. They removed the launcher but left its baseplate in the track when I found it. The M16A2 conversion 12" turret ring was rolled down a wadi by someone and was completely covered by sand. I borrowed a mine detector from my EOD team and went out and scoured the area for parts after dragging the track back into the base. I found several items from the engine, gun compartment and the buried turret ring which needed a wreaker for recovery because of its weight.

1943ht

D-l-miki,
Visited the War and Peace show this year, 1st time. Planning on going back again next year as there was much I missed and more that I want to pick up. I just hope that the weather will be a little cooler next year. We truly enjoyed our time in the UK, great people and a beautiful country!

1943ht

Yes, that patina is priceless!! 76 years old, four conflicts on as many continents, and still almost rust free. That lead paint is incredible. We have nothing really like it today unless its a multi-part type of paint with a catalyst. It was a no brainer for me to make this a preservation vs a restoration project. To tear down, blast and repaint would have destroyed the historical value and wealth of history that the Queen represents. I often wonder about the various crews that have served on her over the years, and what challenges they faced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks