• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AfterMarket AC for cab or?

coachgeo

Came across this at Exped. Portal. Seems very Robust since it is made for heavy duty equipment. Overall looks little more in cost to all NOS things added up but less time to install since it is 12v. (quote I saw was 3grand but do not know which unit that represented) Base model is 7000btu which would keep a truck cool fine but massively struggle to get it to a cool after baking cab in the sun. Would work very well for a s280 box or similar though spendy for just that.

Heavy duty unit is 10,000-12000 btu. and can be had for 24v system

http://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/work-series/

Last edited:

redman333

Came across this at Exped. Portal. Seems very Robust since it is made for heavy duty equipment. Overall looks little more in cost to all NOS things added up but less time to install since it is 12v. 7000btu which would keep a truck cool fine but massively struggle to get it to a cool after baking cab in the sun. Would work very well for a s280 box or similar though spendy for just that. Company. might make 24v version

http://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/work-series/
What's the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

redman333

See updated first post
Got it thanks. So do you know the BTUs on the factory dash unit? From what I've heard it cools very well. So I'd say as long as it matches the output or better then it should be fine. Also if you have a large enough battery bank this could be used with the engine off correct?

coachgeo

Got it thanks. So do you know the BTUs on the factory dash unit? From what I've heard it cools very well. So I'd say as long as it matches the output or better then it should be fine. Also if you have a large enough battery bank this could be used with the engine off correct?...
From what have read Big truck AC is 16-20,000 btu. Car not much less. All automotive/truck AC's are setup to cool rapidly a metal and glass box (oven) that can kill kids and little ol' granny or gran-pa from heat. Once cooled off that amount of btu is in most circumstances not needed (might need it if you travel extensive in NV and AZ deserts or other deserts etc). One advantage of a battery unit (assuming you have enough battery) is you can slowly cool the cab (start it up way before you plan to leave) so it appears if one just goes about it little different (pre-cool, cover windows when not in use etc.) something like these types would work.

scottmandu

LMTV factory A/C is approx 30,000 btu. The heavy equipment air conditioners are typically designed to cool a volume not much larger than a person.

There are also power supply issues with the LMTV alternator, a 100 amp alternator is far undersized to power a 7K btu cooling unit let alone a 30K btu unit.

redman333

I'll see if I can look up the btu output from our heavy duty trucks. I'm not sure they publish the BTUs directly.

coachgeo

....There are also power supply issues with the LMTV alternator, a 100 amp alternator is far undersized to power a 7K btu cooling unit let alone a 30K btu unit.
agree..... tapping into solar panels one intends to install anyway while driving as well as other upgrades (esp. if one intended to do them anyway) could well bring this back into balance for a small Heavyduty unit. Also, going by other knowledgeable members in here .... it is hinted that these 100amp alternators put out way more than that. Suggestion has been that the 100amp rating is a standard that comes from a rating derived under way less than ideal environment situations that a military rig may endure. If rated with typical automotive standards it would be rated as way higher. Not sure how true that is.... but makes some since.... maybe?

Anywhose.... just posted the company info ... as a source. Myself am not going that route at all. Plan to cool "direct" the pilot/co-pilot via cool suit. way less power draw.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can do what Profo does with most of his units. Add an L70 Yanmar engine with the 5000watt generator hooked to it. to a large inverter then to a large slim roof mounted AC that would be found on an RV. I know one of those can be made to fit in a box and is pretty quiet. It is about 1/3 the size of an 803 generator with the same motor. His whole rear area of the 927 camper is cooled by 2 of those units easily down to 60 degrees running off the one yanmar engine that burns 1 pint an hour. Plenty of overhead room in the LMTV for that.

Sourcing all parts as surplus is still under $1500.

coachgeo

LMTV factory A/C is approx 30,000 btu. The heavy equipment air conditioners are typically designed to cool a volume not much larger than a person. ....
which is something to consider.. why cool the whole cab. just cool the person. would take some original ducting to make that work though similar to a "US Army Microclimate Vest" that can be directly attached to an AC vent and plumbed right to the user (no not the route Im going) .

But that being said... and again... only from what have read.... the smaller 12/24v ac units are often designed to keep cab cool AFTER it has been precooled by typical huge OEM ac unit orrrr??? . Example some electric Big Rig units are more for sleeping in cab overnight without engine running. The smaller unit "maintains" the temp. while driving during day the OEM unit does the cooling. At home one could say have a 110v window unit on a rack you roll up to the truck window.... precool the cab with it.. Roll it out of the way before heading out. Then use a Trucks smaller type electric unit to maintain the cool instead of trying to cool off an oven like a typical automotive/truck ac does.

Again though...... was only offering a source for folk since this question gets asked occasionally. Much of wisdom Scott points out and my alternative devil's advocate/crazy ideas has been discussed in other threads on here. (though admit the 110v AC unit on a rolling rack for pre-cooling just hit me lol) Apologize, should have posted in one of those threads

KEN2

You can do what Profo does with most of his units. Add an L70 Yanmar engine with the 5000watt generator hooked to it. to a large inverter then to a large slim roof mounted AC that would be found on an RV. I know one of those can be made to fit in a box and is pretty quiet. It is about 1/3 the size of an 803 generator with the same motor. His whole rear area of the 927 camper is cooled by 2 of those units easily down to 60 degrees running off the one yanmar engine that burns 1 pint an hour. Plenty of overhead room in the LMTV for that.

Sourcing all parts as surplus is still under $1500.
any photos of this set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks