• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket glow plugs and the 24V start

AJMBLAZER

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find much.

I've been recommended to use Wellman plugs and told that they have a 24V CUCV specific glow plug. Anybody else use these?

How about any recommendations in general? I figure the ones in it are either original or probably need to be replaced anyways so why not upgrade?

gasser

Yeah, I just put in the Wellman 070's from SSDiesel in the CUCV I am selling. Were the truck didn't start at all, now starts in 20F weather after 1 second of cranking (obviously after the Wait light goes out). It's the stock 24v setup ....

HTH,

mangus580

Wellman says the 070 is the THE plug to use in a stock CUCV. The best place I have seen to get them, is ind-usa on ebay...

AJMBLAZER

Good to hear guys.

mangus, that was where I was recommended to go. Thanks.

Say, how often do you guys replace the plugs on these things? I've heard everything from several times a year to almost never. I'm planning on at least once a year. I don't drive it regularly but want to keep it happy.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other failures notwithstanding, plugs should last for many years. As they age in the elements, they do tend to increase their resistance, which means less starting ability, but several years out of a set is very achievable...

mangus580

The wellman 070's dont either, and are the correct plugs for the CUCV. I dont think there was a 'true' application for the AC60 plugs. They take alot longer to heat, and dont work properly with MOST controllers.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The AC60G was developed as a non-swelling plug for use in 6.2 and 6.5's by GM to replace the 11G, which replaced the 9G's in civilian use. The 60G's are, from what I recall, technically a 6-volt plug, whereas the 070's are probably a 12V plug (?), but they will work in a functioning CUCV system, since they only see 12-14 volts when all is well. I believe they do work fairly well in CUCV's, but I'm not sure how well they tolerate anything over "normal" voltage. They'll take 12V applied all day long, but more than that, I'm not sure. The biggest problem is that the tabs of the civilian plugs are too wide for CUCV connectors. Only the 13G's and 070's have the correct connector, from what I know.

84cucv

OK if they are for 6v maybe that is why my truck is so hard to start. Where can i get the 70s. thanks

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Aftermarket glow plugs and the 24V start

84cucv said:
OK if they are for 6v maybe that is why my truck is so hard to start. Where can i get the 70s. thanks
Well, they are "6V" plugs, but they are supposed to be used in 12V systems (wierd, huh?), like a civilian truck. Now, the amperage draw of the 60G's may be much higher than the 13G's or 070's? In that case, the voltage through the resistor will be reduced so that they are only seeing 6-10V, which will cause them to heat slower. That is the problem with installing civilian plugs into a CUCV. The firewall resistor impacts the situation, especially if the plugs do not pull the same amps as the stock ones when energized... Not a problem in a civilian system, because the pull from the battery directly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks