• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Radiator Questions- Cap with Deeper Neck

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased/installed an aluminum Liland Global 850AA3R radiator from rock auto last year for my M1008. I noticed yesterday that the depth of the filler neck on the radiator cap is more than the OEM radiator. I believe OEM is .75", I haven't measured this yet to be exact but it is probably closer to 1".

First question, does anyone have a source for radiator caps that have the deeper neck? I noticed a small leak this morning from the cap, I removed/reinstalled it as maybe it wasn't on quite right but I'd like to obtain another cap in the event the seal goes bad. I called Liland Global but according to them even though the cap is listed as a part in the catalog, they don't sell it separately from the radiator :rolleyes:.

I was also attempting to pressure test the cooling system but as the radiator has the deeper fill neck, a normal pressure tester does not fit/seal correctly. Any thoughts if there is a particular pressure tester or adapter i can obtain that would work? I could try to sandwich a thicker piece of rubber between the pressure tester and the inside of the neck but I'm not sure how well that would work.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well sadly the story gets even worse now. Somehow the pressure tester must’ve screwed up the fill neck on the radiator so now I’m leaking antifreeze past the cap each time I shut the motor off when it’s up to temp. The cap itself doesn’t seem damaged so I’m guessing it’s with the neck itself. I’d try get another cap for the sake of trying but I still have to locate a correct replacement.

Jeepadict

If you do decide a replacement is needed, myself and multiple friends have had stellar experiences with Champion Radiators in Orange, CA. Tell them you have an 84 K30 with the 6.2L Diesel and TH400...DO NOT tell them you have a CUCV, it will just confuse most folks outside our circles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do decide a replacement is needed, myself and multiple friends have had stellar experiences with Champion Radiators in Orange, CA. Tell them you have an 84 K30 with the 6.2L Diesel and TH400...DO NOT tell them you have a CUCV, it will just confuse most folks outside our circles.

Thanks, if at all possible I am trying not to get a new radiator as mine is 1 year old but it is always good to have a backup plan. It looks like the champion radiators don't have the transmission cooler though? It says they do but at least from the picture it shows the ports only on the right side which for our trucks is the engine oil cooler. I do like the options for different core sizes.

Can you also check if this radiator accepts a standard cap or is it a "deep" style?

nyoffroad

I think I'd be talking to the people that made yours, take some pics and some measurements, preferably so they can read the measurements in the pic's. Be nice but firm, you paid for a product that would last longer than 1 year and be sure to mention that!

Jeepadict

Thanks, if at all possible I am trying not to get a new radiator as mine is 1 year old but it is always good to have a backup plan. It looks like the champion radiators don't have the transmission cooler though? It says they do but at least from the picture it shows the ports only on the right side which for our trucks is the engine oil cooler. I do like the options for different core sizes.

Can you also check if this radiator accepts a standard cap or is it a "deep" style?
I'm not under their umbrella, just giving a solution suggestion. I know all the rads I'm familiar with from them were drop in replacements. I'd reccomend a phone call to speak to them directly about your needs, as I'm doubtful that their webmaster is proficient at ensuring the picture placement 100% match for your unique application...they're often a sample of their products and have their precise match in their warehouse stock or capable to be made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks