• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket windshield frames

fpchief

I got some new inner frames a while back and got around to putting them in the other day. I prepped and primered the hinge (had to re-use old ones) and screwed them in and hung the frames.

Just now tried to lock the frames in and they hang maybe 1/8" too low to pass by the window lock deal on the outer frame. Anyone else had issues with the inner frames not working out? Should I get new hinges? Does not like much to fitting but they definitely do not.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I’ve had the same issues with aftermarket frames; I’ve had to disassemble and reuse the original hinge portion with the new side/lower frames. Otherwise I had the same problems you ran into.

fpchief

Yes, I’ve had the same issues with aftermarket frames; I’ve had to disassemble and reuse the original hinge portion with the new side/lower frames. Otherwise I had the same problems you ran into.
I am using OEM hinges off old truck. This is really frustrating!!!

Hi .
what size of wrench I can use to open frame hinge bolts?

I can't open them using 9 mm and 10 mm wrench. and also bolts got rusty!

Thanks

18operator

I got some new inner frames a while back and got around to putting them in the other day. I prepped and primered the hinge (had to re-use old ones) and screwed them in and hung the frames.

Just now tried to lock the frames in and they hang maybe 1/8" too low to pass by the window lock deal on the outer frame. Anyone else had issues with the inner frames not working out? Should I get new hinges? Does not like much to fitting but they definitely do not.
Looks like the lock on the windshield frame sits a bit too low. It might be possible to remove and relocate the lock in a higher locale? Or the tab for the lock (on dashboard) may have to be trimmed?

fpchief

Looks like the lock on the windshield frame sits a bit too low. It might be possible to remove and relocate the lock in a higher locale? Or the tab for the lock (on dashboard) may have to be trimmed?
Yep and very frustrating. Good idea on trimming the lock

fpchief

Where were the frames purchased? I want to avoid buying something that doesn't fit, unless I had just modify the tab lock.
David, I dont remember. It had to be Memphis, Boyce, or C&c. I think C&C. Pretty sure they all get them from same source anyway....China. the problem has to be in hinge....measurements are same. Tried multiple vehicle side hinges and a diff frame too. I just try not to notice it right now. Weather down here is a non issue unlike for you so it makes it a little more tolerable not being able to lock it.

HDN

I remember my dad getting a pair of aftermarket windshield panels for his M37. He's only replaced the driver's windshield and he had to modify the new frame a little bit to get it to lock into the windshield frame properly.

How hard would it be to actually fabricate new windshield window frames? I know nothing about automotive glass, but we must be winning a little bit for not having to work with curved windshields :p

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How hard would it be to actually fabricate new windshield window frames?
Not too difficult - if you have the right tools AND the will to get it done right. The Chinese tried, but it seems they didn't have either....

FWIW, I have studied this a bit. For anyone interested, here are the exact dimensions for both profiles, OEM vs. aftermarket, for the WS-frame lower sections.

WS frame construction, OEM vs. aftermarket.PNG

18operator

Not too difficult - if you have the right tools AND the will to get it done right. The Chinese tried, but it seems they didn't have either....

FWIW, I have studied this a bit. For anyone interested, here are the exact dimensions for both profiles, OEM vs. aftermarket, for the WS-frame lower sections.

View attachment 822666
Wow, they didn't even come close to making the aftermarket correctly!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks