• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air cleaner question

Armada

I put one of these readily available 4" exahaust elbows on my first truck 12 years ago and have been doing it ever since on all the ones I use in the winter.
X2 for winter use. First decent snow we had in MI when I first had a deuce convinced me. Truck would not start. Snow piled up on the fender and completely plugged the intake. Raised the mushroom up with an elbow and problem solved.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

March 22nd, 2008.

Dear OIFVET and JWALLER:

Thanks for the input on the NAPA elbows for the air intake, it doesn't snow that often here in Texas, but anything to raise the air intakes above the dust and dirt can't do anything but help the engine's life expectancy. I'd love to find a complete deep water fording kit for the M35A2 just to get the intake higher yet.
I've been meaning to order the intake snorkel for my Unimog, but those bad boys are like $260.00+, as her intakes just above the right fender in the snout and prone to getting dirt and water in it just like the deuce's mushroom. I'll run out at dinner and order one right off. Thanks again for the seriously usefull information,

I remain, Sirs,

Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W,686A Tan, "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran deuce truck
""??"" Johnson Manufacturing Company M105A2 trailer,cargo, MERDC or NATO 4 color camouflage,Woodland.
1963 Swiss Army Mercedes Benz Unimog CArgo, S404.114 (NATO) green. [thumbzup]

Bigmillman

Hey, I put buth a 90 and a 45 on mine and it snakes up more closely to the exhaust far a nice clean look. Sorry, no pic yet. Fudged my camera with butterfingers and a mud puddle... aua

Jakob

Bigmillman said:
Hey, I put buth a 90 and a 45 on mine and it snakes up more closely to the exhaust far a nice clean look. Sorry, no pic yet. Fudged my camera with butterfingers and a mud puddle... aua
I'd like to see pictures of that. I'm going to do mine the same way. It's always nice to see how it looks on someone else's truck first though, :lol:

jimm1009

Air cleaner question

I think that is a really sexy idea myself. Can't wait to see the pictures. In the mean time, does your "O.D. Machine" have a muffler installed as suggested by serveral owners in this forum?
I would like to combine the NAPA muffler and your unique style of intake modification if possible.
Pictures make the world go-round!
Thanks a bunch,
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The elbow modification is a good one!... But if any of you are really in the snow, for extended periods of time (like day after day), and its really important that your truck doesn't stop/filter doesn't plug, ie., like in some remote part of North America where your all by yourself....... The way to keep it from plugging from snow is to put a pair of panty hose loosely over the intake top & tie them off with string/wire (cause tape won't work in the cold). Then when your going down the road, the wind will cause the panty hose to flap and it will shed the snow wothout allowing the snow to be sucked in. This is a proven technique. I've been there - North Slope, or part way there - road blown shut with snow drifts - you sit there for 2 days. Panty Hose: in your toolbox - under survival gear!

Lee in Alaska

CliffW

Re: mushroom

Boatcarpenter said:
I used a tall one on my truck.
BC
You need to watch when you go that high it will pull all the smoke/unburned diesel and gum up the inside of the air cleaner and clog your air filter premature.

houdel

steelandcanvas said:
oifvet said:
The NAPA Part # for the 4" diameter, 10" 'elbow" is EXH41378.

I paid $31.99 (w/ tax and discount). Regular price is around $36.00.
But the PM article says you can buy it locally for about $0.60 :wink:
The PM article suggests using a stovepipe/dryer vent type of sheet metal elbow - not very durable. The NAPA type elbow (much cheaper at most any other auto parts store) is a heavy gage, formed piece of exhaust tubing, much more robust. Just make sure you specify 4" OD x 4" ID for the end sizes so it will fit both the mushroom and the air cleaner inlet.

Flea

Got mine coming from some extra pipe from my father-in-law's workplace (pipefitter)... About $15 for some extra stainless in a 90* mandrel bend, plus the 24" section he's got from his exhaust on his Duramax. I'll get pics as soon as I get it on there, but it should be just below the top of the muffler.