• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Cleaner Studs - What's the Thread Size?

1stgear

I want to flip the top on my air cleaner upside down but can't cause the studs are not long enough. Does anyone know the thread size? I went into Lowe's at lunch with the wing nut and tried it with a 1/4 20 but that didn't work. Are they metric?

Croatan_Kid

Luckily for you, I just made new studs for my truck to do the same thing. I actually bought two studs from the HELP section at Advance Auto, they were 1/4-20 with wingnuts and welded them to the existing section of my studs. That made them way too long, so I just cut them to fit and it worked out great. I did that because the bottom of the factory studs is much larger where it threads into the manifold.

Anyway, the top of the studs ARE metric and they are 6, 1.0 thread.

Croatan_Kid

Pretty much just lets the truck draw more air which, in turn, gives it a little more power. The best things you can do for a naturally aspirated diesel is let it draw more air and let more out. Pretty much intake mods and exhaust. Also, when you flip the lid over it sounds way better than any 4-brl will ever hope to! It's got an awesome sound when you get on it a little.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll take a few pictures of my lid flipped over and show yall how I made new studs.

papercu

air

gives it a little more power
Well, while it was very popular when I was in high school and it made my little 2b 283 sound very bad. I'm not sure it actually helps with anything and you will need to change air filters more often.
While increase air intake is a good thing, keep in mind you are drawing in HOT engine air, which is not a good thing. The cooler the air, the better the efficiency. Good luck, Wayne

AJMBLAZER

RE: air

Yeah, you're now drawing in a LOT more hot air. I've seen this done a lot over the years in different vehicles and the loss in economy usually outweighs the gains in power (if there are any).

What these things really need is a genuine source of cold air. Stock they breath hot air through a straw so just about anything feeding them cold air would be better.

Croatan_Kid

It may be warmer/hot air, but I am getting better fuel economy and have a slight increase in power, so it works out pretty good for me :D Granted, cooler air would be the cat's behind, but that seems too much like work to me.....lol

truck0590

Croatan_Kid said:
Pretty much just lets the truck draw more air which, in turn, gives it a little more power. The best things you can do for a naturally aspirated diesel is let it draw more air and let more out. Pretty much intake mods and exhaust. Also, when you flip the lid over it sounds way better than any 4-brl will ever hope to! It's got an awesome sound when you get on it a little.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll take a few pictures of my lid flipped over and show yall how I made new studs.
Yep, I understand the air flow concept, just didn't know how flipping lid actually increased air flow (ie. bigger filter, opens up area for air intake, etc) Love to see pix. It sounds like it just opens area up for air intake, from the comments.

Truck

AJMBLAZER

Bingo. The filter lid is now going upwards away from the main part so the filter has more directly exposed surface...basically all of it.

Croatan_Kid

I'll go get you a picture right here in a minute.

Edit: Here ya go!

You can see in the second picture where I cut the original stud and welded the new one to it. They're still a few inches too long, but I'll take care of that later. I just wanted to be able to shut the hood :D

AJMBLAZER

Any chance you'd be interested in making another set of those? Can't weld (I can get the stick firmly stuck to the metal though) and live in the end of no where so prices for services aren't cheap.

I'm intriged. Seen any signs of extra dirt or anything on the filter? I see you're running a precleaner too.

Croatan_Kid

Nah...the filter aint really any dirtier this way, just the pre-cleaner, but that's what it's supposed to do. I was going to just grab a regular air filter, but that's what the miltary used. Luckily enough every filter on the truck was Purolator when I got it and when I change them that's what I use.

I could make you a set of those I reckon, I would just need a set of the originals to weld the new studs to.

AJMBLAZER

I just got the rebadged WIX filter with precleaner from NAPA. NAPA filters have always done me right I figure (since they're really WIX stuff).

Okay...so you used the welding method because you couldn't find longer rod? Hrm...happen to know the thread of the bottom end of the studs where it's thicker?
Might go dig through the threaded rod at the local mom and pop hardware store.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks