• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air cleaners and parts forM54

Monty

I have a 1958 M54 with the gas engine, It runs rough so I pulled the air duct from the air cleaner to the carb off and started it, and it runs way better. I removed the oil bath air cleaner soaked it in parts cleaner and let it dry. Is this all you have to do to it besides adding oil to the bottom pan.
Can I convert over to a paper element filter? Maybe one off of a diesel 5ton?

thanks for anyones help
Chad

acetomatoco

The oil bath air cleaner is the better unit...has lasted 60 years with only routine maintenance... see your Lube Order...I sure would not want to keep changing out dry filters which have no civilian equivalent. Be sure to use engine oil in the filter and do not fill above the line... Check to be sure that your choke is all the way off and that the anti Dieseling valve in the big Holley is functioning right... You need to clean the fuel filter once in a while too....

Monty

Re: RE: Air cleaners and parts forM54

acetomatoco said:
The oil bath air cleaner is the better unit...has lasted 60 years with only routine maintenance... see your Lube Order...I sure would not want to keep changing out dry filters which have no civilian equivalent. Be sure to use engine oil in the filter and do not fill above the line... Check to be sure that your choke is all the way off and that the anti Dieseling valve in the big Holley is functioning right... You need to clean the fuel filter once in a while too....
Thank You I just picked this truck up and I'm looking for any/all information that I can get on it.
I'll check the things you recomended tonight, I have to get the manuels since I don't have any. I did look through the ones on line here and I found some of the information that I needed.

When I first started it it runs good but under load it was missing and blowing black smoke out the exhaust. After it was warmed up and I shut it down, it wouldn't start again. Once it cooled down it started and ran fine, I shut it down and removed the intake tube, started it again and it ran better. I didn't drive it around since there was no air filtration but it did sound crisper when it was reved up.
Can you use a standard timing light to check the timing?

thanks again;

Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks