• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AIR COMPRESSOR?

Longhunter7

Gentlemen,

I am in need of an air compressor and need your advice!

I am looking at a Sears Craftsman 6-hp, 33 gallon, 150 psi, single cylinder, oil free.

It is available in an upright or hotizontal version. Is there any advantage to either style, other than the obvious footprint (floor space)?

Is this a piece of overpriced junk, or a decent air compressor?

Is 150 psi large enough to handle most jobs?

Your input would be appreciated! 8)

P.S. It is on sale through Saturday, that's why I am bothering today with a question! :arrow:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have had a craftsman oilless 5 horse 25 gallon for about 12 years without any problem with lots of use. The only thing I hate about it is its very loud. I will never buy a direct drive compressor again. I would opt for a belt driven unit with the 2 cyl cast iron block. But if its a good deal and you dont care about the noise then go for it. Harbor freight has some good deals on compressors too.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
150 psi is enought o handle most jobs, but that really isn't the issue.

You need volume of air, not just pressure.

One of the best investments i have ever made was a prfoessional grade glass bead cabinet. It is thirsty for volume. It will run down my Ingersol Rand 6.5, 60 gallon single stage compressor.

I would strongly recommend buying a 2 stage air compressor. As long as it has an iron block, it is probably quite sufficient for a home enthusiast. Iron block models are significantly quiter and probably last longer.

I am going to buy an Ingersol T30 when I build my shop. $$$ but worth it.

Northern tool has some promotions sometimes on their compressors where they will let you make 4 installments with no finance charge, I would see if your local Northen is offering that or if they could give it to you.

Also, invest in GOOD water traps, like Speedaire, not that cheap no name crap.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a direct drive oil-less compresser, and an OLD single stage, belt drive compresser. The direct drive is LOUD. The old single stage is cast iron, appox. 40 years old, and runs great. Already had to work on the direct drive a few years ago, the one I have doesn't hold up under moderate use. I too am looking to upgrade my air, haven't shopped around any.

Last edited:

rdixiemiller

Look for one that will deliver a certain # of CFM. If you are spraying paint with an HVLP gun, you need 50 psi and 22 cfm. If you use a compliant gun, look for 30 psi and 12 cfm. Sandblasters use huge amounts of air. Air tools like 120 psi, fairly low cfm.
2 stage compressors are nice, cast iron and belt drive is quiet.
Look at your electrical system in your shop. A decent sized compressor is an amp hog.
Sometimes a gas engine compressor is a good idea, allows you to take the compressor out where electricity is scarce.

Towerguy1

The craftsman is a good general purpous compressor, Ive had one for about 12 years as well. It is loud so useing it indoors in a small garage is a little hard on the ears. If you intend to sandblast, use larger than 1/2" impacts, pnumatic grinders, Paint, Fill more than 1 truck tire in a sitting, etc. you WILL want a bigger compressor. For general purpous work its fine.

SixBuy

I too had a Craftsman for 20+ years. After the third compressor rebuild the tank finally rusted thru. So I replaced it with a Speedaire from Lowes (belt drive) which has been a very reliable unit for the last 4 years. Look for an ASME tank - that's an indication of quality. Ditto RDM's comments too.
Good Luck.

rmgill

I have one as well. They're good for general shop work save the big jobs like larger sandblasting and such. Basic painting, air tools (except for those humongus impact wrenches), etc One thing that does greatly increase the utility of an air compressor is some 1" galvanized or black pipe run around your shop with a filter/drier near the compressor outlet and oilers in a few places for the air tools (remember that the oil will mess up paint, so plan accordingly). It removes water from the air and acts as an additional buffer to your air tank. Plan a few 90° angles with ball or gate valves at the bottom of the drop leg. My compressor is in the basement on it's own circuit (I'll be adding a switch to get remote power control from the garage) and that keeps it out of the way.

Longhunter7

Air Compressor?

Thanks for all the great advice! I found out that I need a much larger air compressor than I thought!

Sounds like 175 psi, 80 gallon, 2 stage, belt driven, cast iron, at about $1600.00 up, for a new one! :evil:

I might look around for a good used one! :arrow:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks