• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer heater check (M35A3)

HDN

This is mostly for people like me who are still learning about their truck!

Fall is in full swing in my part of NY, with today not getting higher than 43 degrees outside. However, I wanted to take the truck out for some lunchtime errands anyway. Before doing so, I checked my truck's operator's manual to see if there was anything I needed to mind at these temperatures. One of the things that popped up in my review was the air dryer's heater.

This is the first truck I've ever had with an air dryer, and I learned that the other M35s didn't come with them. I imagine the A3 came with one because of the CTIS, but I think it's a good idea to have one with any compressed air system anyway, especially one providing safe function of machinery. That said, I didn't know the thing had a heater, but I can see why it's a good idea.

The TM mentions to ensure the air dryer heater is functioning if truck operation is needed at temperatures of 53 F and below. Apparently the air dryer heater turns on automatically at that temperature. In order to test the heater, the truck's master electric switch need to be turned on - no need to start the engine, and it's safer to check the heater when the engine isn't running anyway. The TM says to use your hand to feel around the base of the moisture ejector assembly, but to be careful to not burn yourself in case the heater isn't functioning right. Instead of using my hand, I used an IR temperature gun to check it. At an ambient temperature of 37 degrees F, the heater was working at about 50F - well above freezing should be good enough!

Having checked that, I proceeded to start the truck up.

1635983266272.png

Note that the TM shows this as a post-operation check, though I don't understand why you wouldn't check its operation before hitting the road considering how the TM considers the truck not mission-capable if the heater isn't working right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks