• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air system capacity

Dieselsmoke

above plus die grinder and air drill. Just depends on how hard you want to work that compressor. I was thinking of adding additional air capacity to the wrecker.

da_sgt

Bill, While having extra capacity, ie. bigger, more tanks, you will have a longer run time for your tools, but without a bigger compressor the recovery time will be the same. So the compressor is still working as hard. I have been pondering mounting a "large" tank with a valve I could open when I am running down the road. When I'm parking I would close the valve so I would then have a nice reserve for when I need it. If that makes any sense to anyone :roll:

Dieselsmoke

da_sgt, I completely agree. It would be pretty taxing on the compressor IMO so I had planned to do similar to you and add a valve, using my shop compressor to fill it and the trucks compressor as little as possible. Would be nice to find a 24 volt electric compressor.

Miltrucks

I put a second set of air tanks on my 4x4 conversion to give me a bit more air for the steering. Put a valve in so I could either run with the second set of tanks open or closed. Finding I leave them more open than closed, but the only downfall is it takes longer to build initial pressure to first get running.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The little compressor is plenty tough to take a lot of running with very little wear. It will outdo any electric compressor you can lift. Most little air tools will run on it just fine if you crank up the throttle a bit.

The problem is with airflow from the reservoir to the gladhand.

If you are going to run a 3/4" or 1" impact, set yourself up with a portable tank that fills from the emergency gladhand. Run 1/2" hose size from the portable to your wrench, and you will have enough "poop" to unscrew all 6 nuts without delay.

I recommend this as everything onboard is just 3/8" tube, and cannot get the flow necessary even at full pressure to knock even one tight nut loose. You need that "snap" with the impact tool to work properly.

dg

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Isnt the compressor always working when the motor is running? meaning the pistons are going up and down inside the compressor and its just the governer that either directs the compressed air into the tanks or into the atmoshphere? I havent quite figured out how the air system works.

Portable air tanks

5 gal: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41712

10 gal: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40057

There is an outfit here called "Hoseman". He can make up the hoses from the gladhand to a tank or air inflator.

Speaking of inflator I picked this up with my 1" impact wrench yesterday.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92360

On sale for only $8.99. Sale ends Mar 27th along with the 1" impact.

mangus580

You need an outfit for that? ;-) Glad hands can be obtained from NAPA.....

I made my own ;-)

Also, Walmart, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc genrally have those tanks too...

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The compressor has what is called an unloader and when told by the air governor to release, it lets the one-way poppet valves stay open so no active pumping takes place. The compressor is pressure lubricated by the engine, and will turn for many years without repairs.

These trucks don't have a dryer in the loop, hence depend on residual engine oil throughout the system and good tank draining to keep moisture damage to a minimum.

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks