• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft Tug

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just purchased an aircraft tug and would like to know what the markings on the side of it mean. The large ID numbers are RYR278. Can anyone decifer what these mean as to it being assigned to a ship or airfield?? I sure wish Carnac knew about tugs...

goldneagle

I just purchased an aircraft tug and would like to know what the markings on the side of it mean. The large ID numbers are RYR278. Can anyone decifer what these mean as to it being assigned to a ship or airfield?? I sure wish Carnac knew about tugs...
What you plan on doing with it. i heard they go very slow!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the 6 digit serial number. They are a shore based tractor with the Navy or Marines.

Sad thing is these came into service about 5 years after I joined the Navy and are gone already. If you can tell me which base you got it from I can call the local AIMD or MALs and see if they hung on to the history jacket. Or if the info hasn't been deleted, I can telenet into the database and pull the service history from there. Just need to know the base.

In the service we call them Tow Tractors. And remember - No Air Support Without Ground Support. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks