• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AIRMASTER Brake Booster

Happyland1410

I just saw this air over hydraulic brake system on the Gearz TV show and wondered how feasable this would be for converting a deuce to a dual circuit braking system. I knew about the hydroboost options but I had never seen a system like this before. Only the air valve mounts to the firewall/pedal and the master cylinder/booster is remote mounted. Cost might be the limiting factor since most of us don't have TV show budgets. Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there since it looked interesting.

Here is the website for the booster:
Power Brake Service AIRMASTER Brake Booster

Here is a link to the Gearz episode where this system is planned for the 69 International Cabover project:
Gearz Episodes: Heavy Metal Suspension [S6 Ep.12] | Stacey David's GearZ

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bad thing about that system is when it is set, the brake system will be UNDER pressure 100% of the time, only on RELEASE will the pressure be dumped. Hyd. brake systems are not designed for continuous pressure only intermittent APPLIED pressure

Last edited:

Happyland1410

I see in their desciption that there are options for the master cylinder size:

"Master cylinders are available in piston sizes from 7/8 inch to 2 inch, which makes it available for small cars on up to large trucks."

zout

One thing I can personally think of when it comes to a brake system.

If the builder/manufacturer made a change in brake system and updated with a product I would probably consider it. It would have been a tested system and approved by the accumulated associations with them big names - meaning LEGAL.

To take a different product - not tested - not approved and do it all on my own I might consider it for off road only. There is NWH I would retrofit a brake system no matter how great I build it and who installed it and tested it - would I drive it on the road in traffic.

All it would take is one incident - and while your sitting on the witness stand and the attorney asks "WHO" installed the brake system on the truck - was it OEM or not.

Just another thought.

Happyland1410

The bad think about that system is when it is set, the brake system will be UNDER pressure 100% of the time, only on RELEASE will the pressure be dumped. Hyd. brake systems are not designed for continuous pressure only intermittent APPLIED pressure
Good point. It is not clear to me if the parking brake feature is using spring pressure like a full air brake system does so that air pressure is required to release it.

Heath_h49008

I'm wondering what size MC can be bolted up to that booster.

If we can find the source for that booster, we can skip the middle silliness and adapt directly for our uses. I will guarantee that wasn't designed for that application. It came off of something else. Find the source for that booster and the specs to see what is possible.

But that having been said, how cheap this would be... as with all modifications... is more a function of your fabrication and sourcing skill than the price of those parts.

You could probably find and install factory M35A2/3 split brakes cheaper than paying ANYONE else to make brackets to adapt this type of system.

See also: Jesusgato has a build thread on his hydroboost system that is a work of art. If you are planning power steering, go hydroboost for the brakes. Cheaper, more effective, etc.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. I'd probably have put this in one of the other dual circuit threads, in order to keep everything together.

2. How would you mount the PTO level with this setup?

Heath_h49008

The easy solution, that isn't really easy per se, would be to mount it on the firewall in the engine compartment with a pedal from any number of sources. Plenty of room up there. T only requires new lines, pedal quadrant, and the new system.

Bakes are not terribly complicated, or tough to modify safely as long as you do your homework and don't try to go cheap. But if all you want is a split system, there are easy ways to do it that already have a .gov seal of approval.

If your goal is to design a system that is safer, and low cost... by all means! Knock yourself out and take lots of pics with data! New ideas are awesome!

If you just want a split system to drive safely without breaking the bank, that wheel has already been invented a few times.

Cheers!

diesel583

This is not anything new my 57 GMC uses the same type system except it has a manual park brake. Works good but I would not want to leave pressure on my wheel cylinders very long, and trust it to stay. Just my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks