• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alarm systems

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What features are you looking for?

No one pays any attention to an audible "car alarm" going off. It might as well be elevator music.

I question the utility. If someone wants in they are going to get in. And if that someone is in the frame of mind to break into a giant Army truck you best approach assuming there could be more than one of them and at the very least they have something that could double as a weapon. If they get past the imposing nature of the vehicle they aren't going to be deterred by a siren.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all the original switches with the addition of requiring an RFID key placed in a certain place before anything will work. I like to say if you can figure out how to start it you can have it. Then having gps tracking of the vehicle as back up.
But after traveling in it for 7 months now I’ve come to realize everyone is intimidated by it and don’t want anything to do with it but are very curious. Also with starlink always running I installed a ring camera on the back porch that has a motion light on it as well. Next going to install ring car cam for the front.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The RFID thing is a cool idea but it would take them so long to find a plain old kill switch that in reality they are going to give up before they find it. Add a second one and there's just no way. If they can find those they can bypass the RFID given that much time. And with a couple switches - there's nothing to misplace or lose. Not that a key is significantly different from an RFID keychain in that respect....

But as you are finding out - academic. What goes on in the potential thief's head is effective enough on it's own. Their imagination is probably worse than anything you could come up with to lock them out. And if they get past their own head and inside the truck they are as likely as not to just vandalize everything in sight. And if they steal the truck where are they going to go that they won't be conspicuous AF? Yeah - NOWHERE.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thinking, right or wrong, is while in town anything in the cab is more likely damaged by the sun than stolen. Thieves do not want to climb up and be seen looting, they want to stay hidden in a row of cars. In all my years in the backcountry I have never had items stolen, in a campground different story. In a campground weekend warriors will steal anything not nailed down or locked up—

Skyhawk13205

Just take the transmission ECU, it takes about 15 min to remove it on a WTEC III system.

Viper remote start systems have an interlock system that if the system is set to lock it won’t allow a start until it is unlocked via the key fob. If a start is attempted without unlocking it will run an alarm. The alarm could also be wired into an air horn solenoid as well, maybe an air horn placed inside the cab.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take the transmission ECU, it takes about 15 min to remove it on a WTEC III system.

Viper remote start systems have an interlock system that if the system is set to lock it won’t allow a start until it is unlocked via the key fob. If a start is attempted without unlocking it will run an alarm. The alarm could also be wired into an air horn solenoid as well, maybe an air horn placed inside the cab.
An air horn inside the cab might actually injure them and get you sued for having a booby trap which is illegal in the US in your house or on your property..... would be funny as hell if you caught it on camera though! Best make sure that you hit the right button on the fob. o_O

Third From Texas

No one pays any attention to an audible "car alarm" going off. It might as well be elevator music.
No one uses air train horns for their car alarm. That would get a lot of attention, fast IMO.

:)

But honestly, disabling the vehicle is pretty easy w/o any special security system. That just leaves intrusion alerts if you want them. Door pin switches and a train horn would be my goal.

Third From Texas

If I were looking for a "kit" I'd do something like this. Viper has been around forever.

It has a starter kill, a little blinky LED (to scare away the bad man), and when the door opens it would lay on the airhorn.

You'd need a couple door jam switches:

And the key to making it "effective" is the air horn (which you should have anyway)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you ran a hotspot wifi just put 4 ring door bells on your truck reporting everything back to your phone ! I dont want the truck to make a sound to spook my new guest off i want them to feel like they have all night to look my stuff over ! So we can cuddle in the moonlight together till way after they wanted to be there !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks