• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All you expedition camper DIY people... I have a question

ramdough

Lots of info and advice on here.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/
Funny you mention that forum. The book I just posted was reviewed on the expedition portal articles. That is how I first heard of it.

Those forums have tons and tons of information. More than anyone has time to read. I recommend the book for a distilled summary and then the large vehicle build sub-forum for getting more ideas.

Just MHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99nouns

Funny you mention that forum. The book I just posted was reviewed on the expedition portal articles. That is how I first heard of it.

Those forums have tons and tons of information. More than anyone has time to read. I recommend the book for a distilled summary and then the large vehicle build sub-forum for getting more ideas.

Just MHO.

Can you please check if that book shows how to build the camper from the scratch, or does it only show how to put a ready built box on top and build inside only?

ramdough

Can you please check if that book shows how to build the camper from the scratch, or does it only show how to put a ready built box on top and build inside only?
I would say that it shows you many options for different types of boxes, the pros and cons of each type, and a several fabrication steps. It could get you pretty far with your decision making and get you a good start on how to fab it, but it is not probably enough to skip your own research. Based on what I know, this is a great starting point that will help introduce fab concepts so the more technical information makes sense. Also, it is probably more detail and more knowledge than I would wager many backyard builders possess.

For example, it shows the steps to build a steel framed camper box with aluminum siding. It tells you what adhesive they used. It does not tell you how to weld, how to apply the adhesive, etc. You need to know how to weld and download the data sheet for the adhesive, etc. It also discusses the pros and cons of that design. It also has several different types of boxes that are discussed in similar detail.

It was worth the little bit it cost me.

Last edited:

99nouns

Thank you for checking for me, I have seen books with similar concept where they would take just standard pre-built some type of truck box and modify it to the truck then rebuild it, but the information that you stated in the book about building different designs and their cons and pros is what I am looking for which is in that book as you said.

I appreciate your time.

Masspilot

Hey guys sorry been busy lately but here is the latest pics of the build I have been sourcing all the interior. The super structure is built and all painted. I will keep you posted this week I may start on the outside skin. KIMG0186.jpgKIMG0186.jpgKIMG0188.jpg

Masspilot

Yes atv rack and I am hoping to have the layout finished next week​ I am thinking the back is going to be the bunk house area but other than that no I also had mounting plates made up on the roof for my jib crane and can use it on all four corners of the truck

Masspilot

Changing a few things feel free to text me I have more pics it's easier to send that way and discuss easier 5026401225. I can't copy everything Eric did I don't want his head to get to big LOL just kidding he is a good guy I know he will read this

Duckworthe

Changing a few things feel free to text me I have more pics it's easier to send that way and discuss easier 5026401225. I can't copy everything Eric did I don't want his head to get to big LOL just kidding he is a good guy I know he will read this
HAHAHA yes I do read these posts. I have Not posted anything lately as I have been working on the Pro-touring Chevelle. I am still waiting on the new replacement Hot water heater to arrive for my truck and then get the new fan clutch and ac install going again.

Another Ahab

HAHAHA yes I do read these posts. I have Not posted anything lately as I have been working on the Pro-touring Chevelle. I am still waiting on the new replacement Hot water heater to arrive for my truck and then get the new fan clutch and ac install going again.
That sounds pretty sweet.

It'll just be a tiny drift:

- Have you got a pic?

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been planning my build for 23 years, ever since we met a couple in Joshua tree driving a Steyer based truck. Hab. design is being firmed up and will be using steel square tubing for the frame, with 3/8 GRP walls riveted on. Floor will be GRP 3/4" thickness.

I did get a copy of Ulrich dolde's excellent book, now available in English. Had planned on using diesel for heating and cooking, but now just for heating and hot water (espacher). Diesel loses effectiveness at altitude.

Pointman

Thetford cassette toilet for flexibility and most likely a diesel APU for power generation, charging and A/C.

Just added a second tank on our M1078, so we have the range to explore. I'll start a build thread on Overland Expo site when i get ready to pull the bed.

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks