• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allied Companies (General Dynamics) 20kw Drash Auto Start?

BlackIce000

Hey All,
With some very great assistance from the folks at Allied Companies (Even though they no longer make the DRASH style gensets nor ECUs) I have a fully functional generator and ECU combo I am installing!

The building has an Automatic Transfer switch, but I would like to retrofit the generator with an Autostart capability. I have seen MANY ways to do this for MEP style generators, but not for this particular style. It's a Perkins engine and a Mecc Alte head. There is a Shark 100 display unit for status.

The start process is similar to every other diesel generator and requires you to turn and hold the pre-heat knob until the pre-heat light turns off then rotate to START until the engine starts. That detent is spring loaded and goes back to the RUN detent when released. There are oil pressure & water temperature gauges and low fuel, genset fault lights. In addition there is a cold start switch (if needed) and of course a J1 Contactor closed switch and light. The contactor switch is quite large and includes a position for SHORE power as well.

I have seen MANY aftermarket diesel genset controllers and am not sure which one will be the best and most reliable. Many people are recommending Deep Sea as a manufacturer. Any suggestions?

Is this even possible without a huge amount of DIY??

Thanks!

Rick

Poccur

Hi Rick, hope you are well...
Couple things you might want to consider..

You do not want to lose the protection of the main output breaker and you also do not want to start the generator under a load so...the breaker has to be open when the engine is starting and then bring itself online when volts and hertz are established..
I would have the 120VAC close the contacts on a relay so that as the field forms the contacts shut...have the contacts control 24VDC so that they feed a time delay module and then after 5 seconds or so fire the electro-mechanical operator in the main breaker.
If your main breaker is manually operated you might have to swap to one that has a electro-mechanical operator in it so it can be controlled. I cannot recall what the main breaker on that unit was...
That way on contact closure from the ATS it starts the engine, gets it up to speed and then connects the generator to the bus....
I have had good success with ECU-9957N
http://www.baldor.com/Shared/manuals/9957N-1199.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks