• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison Trans fluid type????

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We put dextron II in the transmissions in busses and garbage trucks.

1956_4x4

It sounds like you're looking at a 10 weight hydraulic oil. You can go to www.allisontransmission.com to check their recommendations on oil and service intervals if you know the transmission model. Be careful, because the military may have specified a special oil that is not recommended on their sight. I know we ran a lot of Allisons with 10 weight when I was in the military. I've also run Dextron, but Allison really extends out the change intervals if you run TranSynd oil. TranSynd is expensive, but it's worth it in reduced maintenance.

Smitty

JDToumanian

The "MIL-L-2104" spec is, as far as I know, only for engine oils... and "GRD 10" probably means to use a 10 weight. You'll want to be sure before you do anything, but I'd say you're looking for a light weight engine oil, or it's appropriate modern substitute...

Like Smitty says, I think I'd contact Allison directly and find out what they recommend.

Jon

cranetruck said:
This is what I will be putting into my Allison, Premium Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. It has an equivalent (engine oil ) viscosity of 10W...among other things.

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12507&start=20
this is exactly what i used. read the labels and this was the closest that we could come up with so i went with it. did not need to much as it turned out. only added about 3 quarts to bring it up to full. thanks all for the help. im not used to owning automatics and this slipped my mind for the pre trip planning inventory. now with this unit in the stable ill have to change my way of thinking. what a truck.425 HP!

Rattlehead

Allison has a "C-4" licensing certification for fluids. Of course, there are probably many fluids out there that technically meet the C-4 requirement but don't have the designator because they didn't pay Allison for the licensing agreement, but how do you know for sure if the fluid really does meet their requirements. I have looked at Dextron fluids and many don't call out the C-4 requirement. I believe Valvoline Dextron III fluid does have the C-4 designator.

Dave P, you gonna bring that truck to the trail ride so we can make our own mud pit if its too dry? :lol: :lol:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've taken my a few M939 series trucks and my M977 directly to Allison and they recommended Dextron III.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks