• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alt amps

1983cucv

I have gone 12volts and used a early 80's 100amp cadi alt. Does a higher amp rating create more load on the engine? If I went with a lower amp alt (65amp) would it lessen the load? I need an alt for another truck I have and I might use the 100amp alt for it and get a smaller amp for my 09'.

Thanks

mangus580

The 100 amp cadi alt is the same one you took out from the 24v system ;-) the only difference is the CUCV alt has an isolated ground terminal on the back. If you still have your CUCV alts left, you can use them for anything, you just need to run a ground wire to that terminal....

1983cucv

I don't have the originals anymore. I was thinking if went to a lower amp alt (and use the higher amp for my other truck) I would lesson the load on my 09' and maybe pick-up some power and mpg's, however slight it might be.

acetomatoco

P equals IV... Power equals amps times volts... power is in watts... watts equals amps times volts... 768 watts, more or less is one horsepower... W equals 100 times 28... or 2800.. divide by 768 and you get about 3 and a half horsepower...to run a 100 amp alternator at full efficiency... most of the time you are running forty amps or fewer or about a horsie...you will save more fuel if you keep your tires at max pressure and keep the windows closed and keep the speed under 50...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I did that in my head faster than looking it up on the wiki. But I've said about myself before, give the hardest job to the laziest man and he will find the easiest way to do it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I hear you Acetomato, I taugh HS shop for ten years before giving the kids back to their parents and going back into the Army. I could not belive when I taugh the kids about electricity that almost none of them knew the math to use the simple E=(IXR) chart I had on the chalk board. I talked to the math teacher and he just blew me off. Removing God from the classroom killed American education along with the liberals who have never done anything but be a teacher.

acetomatoco

And spellling is to be my next rant... as in efficient, gauge, Marauder, brake vs break, definite, and AMG is American Motors General.. not American General and today is going to be excellent, not excellant... I am saving two M139s this week from the crusher...anybody need any parts...??? Have a fine week..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks