• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator bolt broke off in head.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the process of tightening up belts i uncovered an old band-aid. The lower bolt on the passenger alternator has an old bolt broke in the hole maybe 1/4"-3/8" in. The stack of washers on the bolt head should have been a red flag. It was late, hot, long day Yada yada.... So I went on & stripped it out not knowing it was only holding on by 2-3 threads. Does anybody have a head laying around they can measure the hole depth on? I gota either drill the broken piece & try an ez-out or drill the whole thing install a helicoil. I have no idea how much bolt is still in the hole. Just don't want to run into the exhaust passage

Attachments

fitz

I will get a measurement for you tonight after work.
I ran into this problem on my M1028.
I bought Harbor Freight right angle drill for $30 or $40 and some of their left handed drill bits. The left handed drill billts drill with the drill in reverse. They act as a screw extractor and when they catch the metal the screw comes right out (in theory atleast).
My bolt came right out & the right angle drill fit withought removing the radiator.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I've got a buddy that going to let me borrow his Snap-on extractor kit. Has left handed bits & ez-outs. Fingers crossed.

cucvrus

That head bolt hole looks like it was an issue in the past. Good Luck. A welder and a pointed bolt may work. A bit tricky but can be done. Careful Slow and Steady. No rush job.

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This alternator bolt looks to metric. Does that sound right? I don't have a pitch gauge handy but the thread diameter measures .387. I'm really surprised it's not 3/8-16

cucvrus

You are correct. It is M10 x 1.5 metric thread. All the bolt holes with the exception of the bell bolts are metric. The bell bolts are 3/8" x 16. I have attached a picture of a past repair to the same bolt. They must have lost the correct long bolt. They threaded one into the head and a nut and bolt on the bracket. They backed the bolt out of the head and locked it against the alternator bolt. The genius. I corrected this with the correct bolt. I make the spacer with Black pipe nipple if I have none available. I was short at the moment. Good Luck.

fitz

I measured that hole at 15/16" deep.
On a side note, that bolt was already broken off on my truck when I bought it. Someone just ran a bolt through the bracket/alternator/bracket and put a washer & nut on the back side. The alternator was not supported on the engine side. I ran the truck like that for 10k miles before the bracket cracked (who knows how long it was like that before I bought it).
Had I known it was a 20 minute fix, I would have fixed it right away.
Let us know how yours turns out.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thank God for every day. I am happy your broken bolt was an easy fix. I think I will try to find some of those centering gizmo's. I have never seen them before. A metric and SAE set would be a great accompany kit for my tap and die sets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks