• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Conversion

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gang, just wanted to share another tip and resource with you guys. Some of you may have hear of him but the great RAM of Barton VT is an avid collector of many decades. He has some cool stuff and barns of parts. I emailed him Monday about an alternator conversion harness. I've known him to have had some of these for years. Today my harness came sealed in the bag from the military. For any of you guys that have a generator and the huge regulator on the firewall, RAM has the harness to convert to an alternator. Not expensive either! He also has inside rear view mirrors. I've got one in my tractor. They are correct deuce mirrors. At one point he had thousands. If you need these items contact RAM at M35A2USA@aol.com
Feel free to tell him Recovry4x4 sent you.
Kenny

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Roughly when did they convert from generators to alternators?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They converted to alternators in he mid 60s I believe. As far as the benefit is consistent power at all RPMS. Generators were subject to low power production at low rpm.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They converted to alternators in he mid 60s I believe. As far as the benefit is consistent power at all RPMS. Generators were subject to low power production at low rpm.
Sp does that mean all the trucks we see with generators are early trucks that have been MWO's/rebuilt/repowered, etc.?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator comes with a built-in regulator, eliminating the separate regulator on the firewall of the deuce. Also, you get 60 amps (standard upgrade) instead of 25 amps/28VDC.
As long as the engine rpm is 900 to 1,000, then the 25 amp generator will produce full rated power. It is rated at 1,700 rpm and I think the pulley ratio is about 2:1.

I got a cable conversion kit from RAM, but haven't opened the package yet. It's been about a year since I got it. :oops:

Bjorn

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We converted desert rats 109 to a GM 24v 80amp alternator. He bought it new for $200. Mabye he can post some pics?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take care of that alternator. If you lose the regulator section, the whole thing will have to be serviced. Tight battery connections are a "must".

Bjorn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks