• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Issue

Russm

Lots of alternator posts from what I can see. Going to add my own.
Had a whine coming from one of the alts, couldn't tell which so decided to rebuild both.

Rebuilt passenger Alt, no issues.

Rebuilt driver alt, whine now appears at higher rpms and output voltage does a yo-yo from 9v to around 30v.

Not being an electric expert, which one of the rebuild parts is bad? A lot of them said made in China

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Squibbly

Lots of alternator posts from what I can see. Going to add my own.
Had a whine coming from one of the alts, couldn't tell which so decided to rebuild both.

Rebuilt passenger Alt, no issues.

Rebuilt driver alt, whine now appears at higher rpms and output voltage does a yo-yo from 9v to around 30v.

Not being an electric expert, which one of the rebuild parts is bad? A lot of them said made in China

Got a video?

Keith_J

Do check all connections. The plastic two pole connector out the side has two wires, one red and one brown. If there is a problem with the red, it could cause the varying output. The red connects to the positive post of the battery it is supposed to charge. This circuit is charge sense and it must have battery voltage at the alternator.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the parts are made in China.

You don't say if the alternator is an original isolated ground. Assuming it is, do this. Click Here.

If it still doesn't charge correctly while testing, disassemble the alternator and check the regulator mounting screws. All three should have a insulating sleeve on them. If the insulators are there, and you have verified the internal wiring is correct, replace the regulator. Check the diodes on the trio, if any of them are bad, replace the trio first.

Russm

All assembled correctly.
The new regulator says USA on it

New voltage regulator does not cause squeal. But still not outputting around 14.8v.

At least I can drive it and it won't sound like a shit box.
Co workers are tired of my "alternate" car and want to see the "big green menace" lol

I'll order new alts from Mr. Hillbilly. Just want it to work

Keith_J

Do you have a multimeter? Test the regulator block connector on the side of the alternator. The red wire connection needs to be 12 volts on the passenger side, 24 on the drivers side. The red wire is the voltage sense. The big wires.on the back are current wires and at high charge rate, there is a voltage drop over the length of wire.

With a poor connected voltage sense wire, the alternator output can vary.

Russm

Right, found my issue sort of.

Hackjob wiring is my issue. Random 12v lead spliced to instrument cluster plug. Stock configuration it's not there...

*Snip*

Issue is solved

Parking brake light doesn't work anymore but, for the most part alt is charging correctly. The wait light, 4x4 light and headlights flicker and the voltage drops briefly when I shift out of park.

Something is loose/shorting/bad ground somewhere

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks