• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT: Generic Brand w/ Isolated Ground???

MuddWeiser

I have a bad passenger side alternator and am wondering if I have to buy a military specific alternator for the CUCV, OR can I go down to my local parts store and buy one of their Delco-Remy Isolated Ground alternators???

The parts store said I should be able to use one of their isolated ground alternators for my application but needed to know which AMP rating I wanted - 78amp or 108amp... I told him I would take the 108amp as more is usually better, and the system will only draw what it needs...

I would appreciate ANY input on this situation...

Michael

RE: ALTERNATOR REPLACEMENT: Generic Brand w/ Isolated Groun

From an old post of mine:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=WIL&PartNumber=90014277&Description=Alternator+-+Remfd+-+H%2fD+Truck

NAPA is the only place I found that still has the part number from the TM in their system. It is a little pricey though. These things are easy to rebuild, I would look around for a re-builder I could trust. I would recommend a complete rebuild, not just a fix whats broken one.

Basically it is just a Delco Remy Series 27SI 12 Volt 100 Amp Clock Position:1:00 with an isolated ground. You don't even need the isolated ground on the one that connects to the frame. You would just have to be sure you never swapped it over to the other side.

Anybody ever work up a list of GM cars that use a 27SI alternator? They would be cheep at the junk yard and you can change the clock position and isolate the ground yourself.

The 78 or 108 amp makes me think they are trying to sell you the more common smaller SI alternator. I don't think they will fit.
I found the correct link for NAPA on line on the old site. It got shortened in the transfer.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...+-+H%2fD+Truck

Alternator - Remfd

http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/241052.jpg
Click on image to see enlarged view
Item#: WIL90014277

Price: $219.00 Core: $27.78

tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Attributes:
O.E. Manufacturer:grin:elco Remy
Series:27SI
Voltage:12 Volt
Amp Rating:100 Amp
Polarity:Insulated
Clock Position:1:00
Type of Pulley:pulley Not Included
Type of Regulator:Internal

Last edited:

MonkeyMan

I have a machine that uses the CUCV arrangement to supply both 12 and 24 volts. Does anyone know how to convert the 27SI alternators to isolated ground? The military mechanic that built it no longer works for me and I'm trying to get myself up to speed on how he did it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks