• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am I missing anything before my startup.

odge

I have an 803 with 405 hours on it. When I got it, the thing was missing one panel and the voltage regulator, all fluids have been drained, the oil and fuel filters were also removed and the batteries were also removed. The fuel tank drain was also missing.

I have a borescope and have looked at just about everything I can get it into. Since it didn't have any oil in it I looked at the bottom end and found the cylinders walls (the two that I could see) in good shape and the crank didn't show any signs of problems either. I put a wrench on the crank puller and the engine turned over very nicely, it wasn't stuck at all when I first manually turned it over.

I pulled the muffler and looked into the exhaust manifold; no rust or anything visible in there. I couldn't get the scope down far enough to view the valves. If anything I would say that the exhaust looks like may have been wet stacked a bit, looks kind of like wet soot. I don't know exactly what it should like so I'm taking a guess here. I looked in the intake as far as I could go without disassembling the whole intake, I didn't find anything in it either, looks clean.
20160430_151959[1].jpg
The Fuel tank does not have any nasty stuff sitting in the bottom but it does have what appears to be very light sediment film for where it may have been rinsed out and this was all that remained after the fluids evaporate.

I have gone through a lot of the wiring loom and found a couple of locations in the engine bay that look like possible chafing. I think it was from some gorilla putting the wire ties on. The chafing doesn't appear to go through the outer plastic layer of the wiring.
20160430_152014[1].jpg

I haven't put any fluids in it as of yet. I'm still working it over to look for possible problems.

What else do I need to do before I put this back together?

I have one concern once I get ready to fire it. Since this thing has sat for a while I have a feeling that it might have to crank a while before it starts. With extended crank times it can ruin the voltage regulator. Are there any procedures I can go through to eliminate or minimize the crank times? Can it be ran with out the voltage regulator wired in. This is just to test fire it and there will be nothing hooked up to it at all.

Thanks,

R

More pics
20160430_172417[1].jpg Chafing I found
20160430_172352[1].jpgReturn fuel lines. It looks like some may have been changed???
20160430_172340[1].jpgResult of wet stacking?

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are worried about the voltage regulator then I'd suggest you totally disconnect it.
That way you can work on getting the engine started and running without risking the regulator.
Just be sure the label all the wire taken off the regulator and tape them up so they can't short against anything.

odge

Thanks Kloppk, The voltage regulator is not installed as of yet and have to look at the wiring diagram to know how to wire it up anyway. I will be putting it back together today. You were right, it is a lot easier to work on with the top removed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks