• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amber LED Warning lights

CanonNinja

Already hyped up about just getting a truck, and planning my first mods. Ordered a set of convoy lights and gun mounts last week, now looking into some LED flashers for the rear, ala garbage truck style. One of the places I'll be going for sure is the beach and coming back late at night, and in Houston, 50mph on the freeway is a bad idea, especially in large, dark colored truck.

I've been looking into some products made by Code3, some 24V LED self-contained lights to mount in some DOT boxes (for a more rugged and functioning look). Has anyone ventured this far with lighting accessories? I'm wondering what else is out there for 24V systems, as I can't find a whole hell of a lot. Thanks guys.

http://www.code3pse.com/product.asp?grp=pse&familyid=14&flag=N

CanonNinja

wow, over $500 for the LED stock replacements. The LEDs I'm thinking about installing about about $120 ea and are more strobe/flashers similar to construction vehicles. I guess the DOT box idea would be fitting, as it almost matches what you posted Bjorn. Very cool looking.

SierraHotel

Wow..convoy lights, gun mount, LED's..boy I wish I had that kind of money. Then again I wish I had a title and 4 rear tires...and while I'm wishing, a spare would be real nice...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, you got a pic of the mounting holes underneath them marker lights? I have some holes cut in the rear of my -725 body that look like they were some weird kind of lamp, but they may have been exactly like yours.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
maddawg308 said:
Bjorn, you got a pic of the mounting holes underneath them marker lights? I have some holes cut in the rear of my -725 body that look like they were some weird kind of lamp, but they may have been exactly like yours.

he he he

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Mike, no pictures of the rear of the original pipeline bed. The brackets were/are welded to the frame. Do you have pictures of your hole pattern(s)?

Rattlehead

Are there any legalities with running amber strobe (convoy) lights on a non-emergency vehicle? I am thinking of an LED convoy light for towing, or night time highway driving for better visibility. I see all kinds of options, varying flash rates, etc.

nickd

I run my deuce on the highway on a regular basis either going some where or just weekly running to keep the systems working. I always use the convoy lights on the highway and have never had a problem with the law in Delaware. I would rather explain myself to the officer as to why they are on verses being told "this accident counl have been prevented if the warning lights were on"

Jones

These guys have a pretty good sized listing for LED replacements including 24-28v that are incandescent bulb-base mounted for direct plug-ins into existing light assemblies. www.ledtronics.com Looks like they're a mil. std. supplier so they should have a fair-sized inventory. I did a search by voltage and found over 300 24v and over 1200 28v. Prices are up there but offset by extended life and durability.

CanonNinja

Rattlehead said:
Are there any legalities with running amber strobe (convoy) lights on a non-emergency vehicle? I am thinking of an LED convoy light for towing, or night time highway driving for better visibility. I see all kinds of options, varying flash rates, etc.

Atleast here in Texas, amber, red and white are usually overlooked (as long as the red or white are hide-away strobes in your brake or headlights) on most construction vehicles... Amber is universally regarded as DOT/safety lighting, not for any type of authority.

And to update the original post, my convoy light kit came in today (before I even officially own my truck :lol: ) and I plan to suppliment it with Whelen 500 TIR6 series LED flashers in the back. Lots of construction around here on lots of dark highways, so I'll be going much slower than the retards and drunks that live close by. I'll take all the lighting I can get

CGarbee

Rattlehead said:
A quick check of your state's code will usually show you the answer to this type of question, but yellow and white flashing/rotating lights are generally considered to be warning lights and, as has been said already, better to beg forgiveness than to be dead...

Now, in North Carolina the color breakdown is this:
Blue: Sworn Law Enforcement. Illegal for anyone other than a LEO to use.
Red: Emergency Response (Fire, Rescue, HazMat, ect.) If you are using them, be able to show that you are affiliated with a group involved in providing emergency services.
General Statutes in NC require that motorist slow down and move over (to the extent possible) when passing a stopped vehicle with red or blue lights flashing, or slow down and move over when being overtaken by a vehicle with red or blue lights flashing.

Green: Private Security - "rent-a-cop" Non-Sworn Enforcement. Folks that look at parking at the mall, aparment complexes, etc.
White/Yellow/Orange: Hazard - Tow trucks, mail, construction/maintenance vehicles, slow moving, extra-dimensional. Anything moving on the road or near the road that are a hazard to the traveling public due to the nature of thier load, dimension, speed, sudden change of direction, etc.

Green, White, Yellow, and Orange are unregulated to the extent that no-one is prohibited from using them. However, certain statutes do regulate placement/type/use of some form of these lights. As an example, it is illegal to have alternating flashing headlamps (which are white, and unregulated color) unless you are a LEO or NCDOT Traffic Services. I suspect that the LEO bit is obvious to most, but will toss in that Traffic Services gets to use them since they are the guys in the bucket trucks fixing the dead stoplights and they need all the help they can get on dark, stormy nights when they are out there alone in an intersection... Everything that moves on a NCDOT project must have at least a yellow or white strobe...

I've got convoy lights and use them whenever I am running 10-15mph below the prevailing traffic speed, or whenever I am with a group of three or move MV's (ie, a convoy...).

I also have a bunch of yellow/white strobes on my daytime work vehicles... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks