• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amount of oil draining through rear drive axle tube

HDN

Has anyone measured how much oil drains out of the rear drive axle tube when removing the drive flange? I'm trying to figure out how much gear oil to buy for my wheel seal project. I'm thinking it's going to be somewhere between 2 and 3 quarts per wheel but I really have no idea. I was going to buy a 5 gallon bucket of O'Reilly's stuff but if I don't need that much I won't buy that much.

EDIT: Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about? The wheel/axle seals shouldn't allow gear oil to pass through the end of the tube, right? So then oil should come out when I pull the drive flange only if the seals are bad?

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info - it seems that any pictures I've seen of this job there's always an oil pan half-full with GO, making it look pretty messy!
Probably most of those videos the keyway seal and/or other seals went bad and the hub is filled with GO. If everything is perfect there should not be so much in there when you open it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks