• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An alternate way to lock your FMTV doors

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not re-keyed my cab so had no way to lock it. The door handles seemed so fragile to be used as locks. An alternate means of locking the doors was preferred because if the door handles are locked and some *&^%$ perp decided to pry it open, those $600 handles would get trashed.

Not much description is needed. Just look at the pictures. Before trying this you might look at the spacing on the doors, the gap specifically, and see if there is room for the metal plate. There was plenty of room on mine. The photo sequence is all messed up but you get the idea.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I have a pair of used keyed-alike LMTV door handles with keys for sale. I bought a set of new ones with keys and then took my old ones to a locksmith to get keys made. Because there were the right number of wafers with the same codes, he was able to rearrange them and key both locks to the same code.

PM me for details.

coachgeo

Discovered a professional lock set up similar Tennmoger's design and the other found in a different thread here. Saw it on a Landy in Expedition Portal and the poster was kind enough to add more detail. Looks military-ish/industrial so its a nice fit. Looks very secure too.
MasterLock.jpgMasterLock2.jpg

Masterlock's version of this door hasp is a Master Lock 770 - Masterlock Hidden Shackle Solid Steel Padlock Hasp.... Masterlocks version of the lock (silver disk) made for this hasp is either a 6270 or 6271 hidden shackle lock.
770wspecs.jpg 6271wspecs.jpg
Other makers of locks have these as well and are available online and maybe also available at McCaster Carr, A-zon, or Ebayz as well.

Last edited:

coachgeo

just came across some newer options on Expedition Portal and figured would pass them on to ya'll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5h9KR5rUV0

http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/van-...s/mercedes-sprinter-pre-06-garrison-deadlocks

http://www.armaplate.com/

But that is van's and a UK company that sells nothing for a Steyr truck. Granted a Van door deadbolt might work just fine on a regular door and some of those are available in USA too.

https://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_dead.htm

Fortunately though the search term Deadlock and Deadbolt for trucks did come up with some stuff not posted here

http://www.theautobolt.com/ old product but seems most universal of what I can find and would appear to work just fine though it is Electronic. Myself would rather have a manual and would probably go with something like below.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/entrance-door-lock-with-deadbolt/70814 RV deadbolts would think could be modified for this

Last edited:

Givinup

Thanks for posting these options. Would love to see the garrison lock installed on an fmtv door. I'd imagine would be pretty straight forward as an added lock, while still using the door handles for access. -- I'll search for some USA companies, this is the best/straight forward solution to securing my fmtv. -- Any battery disconnect suggestions?

The autobolt website should be a case study for how not to design a website :) They explain why it's so important to have very well...just never give an explanation what it is without some digging.

Aernan

Thanks for posting these options. Would love to see the garrison lock installed on an fmtv door. I'd imagine would be pretty straight forward as an added lock, while still using the door handles for access. -- I'll search for some USA companies, this is the best/straight forward solution to securing my fmtv. -- Any battery disconnect suggestions?

The autobolt website should be a case study for how not to design a website :) They explain why it's so important to have very well...just never give an explanation what it is without some digging.
If you find any good battery disconnect options I would love to know. The A1 trucks have a lockable one on the outside right of the battery box near the air drier. I know you can retrofit them in.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find any good battery disconnect options I would love to know. The A1 trucks have a lockable one on the outside right of the battery box near the air drier. I know you can retrofit them in.
I found this heavy duty switch on the large "e" auction site. I recall it was less than $20 shipped. I believe it is a "Cat" part. It came with 3 keys.

IMG_3351 2.jpgIMG_3352.jpg

Givinup

Do you know what year A1 trucks they started doing this? I have a 2001 and it looks like I missed the boat on the remote start when cab is up, as well as battery disconnect. I intended to use this as an initial security measure. My truck does not have the disconnect, but I would love to add it.

Aernan

Do you know what year A1 trucks they started doing this? I have a 2001 and it looks like I missed the boat on the remote start when cab is up, as well as battery disconnect. I intended to use this as an initial security measure. My truck does not have the disconnect, but I would love to add it.
I'd love to add it too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks