• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

and me without A camera

eddiec

today, hookin 1 and myself had the rare priveledge of being asked to do a recovery on my company's 4 wheel drive wrecker. the wrecker was only maybe 1000 feet down a mud trail, when it slid down into a pond, but they had nothing else to go get it. nothing is better then having the one person that says my favorite past time is a waste of time, call and ask if we can get their truck out for them.(even wrecker drivers make mistakes) it was simple enough, drive down to it (i stayed in the truck, lance didn't) hook up to it , winch it out, then back out through the deeper mud- but not to show off. just wish we would have had our cameras.

Dieselsmoke

LOL, it's always funny when someone asks for your help and can't for the life of them figure out why you'd own such a "worthless piece of green scrap iron". Quote from an ex-neighbor that I pulled out once :)

Jones

A friend of my buddy thinks his H-1 Humvee is the greatest thing on wheels and must spend his idle hours thinking of harpoons to fire at me and my 416 Unimog; too slow, too noisy, hard to get into, antique pieces of German cr@p, etc. So it must have killed him to have to call and ask if I could come out to our local 4WD park and help get him unstuck. Got there and found him mired in a fair sized bog. I backed into the bog, down to him, and let him muck around getting cabled up to me. He got into his Humvee and I took the slack out then my buddy and I gently pulled him free... up the dirt road, and across the paved parking lot, to the entrance gate. All the while accompanied by lots of arm waving, horn honking and sliding of tires from the Humvee. When he quit yelling in a voice so high-pitched that only dogs could hear, he asked why I didn't stop as soon as he was free; I told him I wanted to make sure he was on solid ground because I had better things to do than drive out to unstick him more than once that day.
Poor fellow still won't speak to me to this day. Guess some folks don't have much of a sense of humor. My buddy has taken to calling Humvees; "Unimog anchors".

Jones

Thanks guys. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything, but four-wheeling for 47 of my 60 years has taught me a few valuable lessons like; if the surface is incredibly smooth it's probably water or ice, chain your rig high to low on the towed/stuck vehicle, don't beat up another guy's rig... he just be the fellow who gets you home safely. And by all means; Never let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a$$.

mcinfantry

jones, you ever seen my video? down at the local mud hole a 2002 TJ on 33" superswamper TSL's got STUCK and a FS bronco buried itself and got stuck too. I pulled them out of the mud with my 5/4 m715 in second gear! the TJ put it in gear and florred it while the bronco stood on his brakes and i drug them around back to dry ground. at the end of the video you can see me stop, open the door and THEN they are able to pull me backwards.

little old 105hp 4cyl cummins. 4.56 gears and michelin xls with lockers front and rear.

its apple quicktime.
http://homepage.mac.com/ltalessi/iMovieTheater124.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks