• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

And the problems never end...

gt1009

Well,it wasn't enough that I have vibrations from 25-45 mph coming from somewhere in my driveline, but now whenever I start from a stop and just at random times there is a loud clanging coming from the rear of the truck. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on with my truck, I'm about fed up with it at this point.

acetomatoco

As the truck is 95 percent civvy stuff, any local grease monkey can diagnose problems with ease...except of course, electrical.

uh60

Had same issue with an explorer it turned out to be the front output bearing in the transfercase. You just have to check every thing for eccessive play.

Braunchitis

Mine did this, (vibrations and clanging) it was the back U-joint. $60 and 2 hours later, it was out of the shop and fine.

I know how you feel though...Mine's been kind of a pain too.

gt1009

RE: Vibration.

Ok, so just so you guys know I am in high school and will only have afternoons to work on this, I should be able to change it out at home in a few hours right? Also, how would I be able to tell if it is the U-joints or the pinion, and which u-joint it is.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Generally a bad u joint is easy to diagnose. With your foot on the brake just put it in reverse and then drive. If it is a u joint you will hear a distinctive clunk.

Block the wheels and put it in neutral. Crawl under the vehicle and try to rotate the driveshaft. If the u joints are going bad, you will be able to rotate it a bit and feel a clunk. A u joint is easy to change, but remember that transmission fluid will drain out when you pull the driveshaft.

jumpmasterjim

Yeah, sounds like U-joint/s. Be aware that if they are original u-joints you will have to heat up the driveshaft end to get the polymer out. A bench vise is helpful as well but not mandatory. Do you have an auto shop at school? Ask someone there. they may help for free labor. Good luck.

papercu

truck

guys know I am in high school and
Don't forget to double-check everything when done.
I remember the first u-joint I helped a friend change while I was in high school. We got everything back together and went over a wooden county bridge close by, to see how many boards we could flip over, While doing the first burn-out, heard a loud bang and looked out the rear window to see the driveshaft lying on the bridge. We had forgotton to tighten something. I'm glad it was the rear one that we changed. Wayne

maritimer

RE: truck

did the same on my old ford p/u. put the shaft up in and forgot one cap lock ring and got out on the road and punched it then pop, bang bang bang bang LOL

papercu

problems

Yep the OJT will stay with you, I remember two more, one was that the warning on the oil filter box that goes "Hand Tighten only" is not true, while the one on the radiator cap that say "Neven open Hot" you had best take as the gospel. :) Wayne

M2116x6

You can check a U-Joint with a screwdriver. Pry against the flanges and bearing caps. If you see movement in the joint, it's bad. If they are really bad you will see movement just by moving the shaft up and down by hand.

Also, when removing the driveshaft it helps if you put the rear of the vehicle up on ramps. This keeps the fluid from running out when you pull the shaft out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks