• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another long time lurker who finally joined the MV club

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon all,

I've been on the hunt for my first MV for a while now and finally found the "perfect" one, a 1999 M936A2. Got her home last week and have started to go through it, making a list of all the odds and ends it needs and starting to knock them out. I've got an ace up my sleeve with it as a 25+ year former motor pool sergeant is a coworker (he had the TM #s memorized) and I have been pouring over them since I bought the truck. 1000009843.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good afternoon all,

I've been on the hunt for my first MV for a while now and finally found the "perfect" one, a 1999 M936A2. Got her home last week and have started to go through it, making a list of all the odds and ends it needs and starting to knock them out. I've got an ace up my sleeve with it as a 25+ year former motor pool sergeant is a coworker (he had the TM #s memorized) and I have been pouring over them since I bought the truck. View attachment 913145
Welcome to the Outfit!

Sweet Looking wrecker...

Glad to hear that you have a motor sergeant willing to work with you! Yep, knowing the TM's (Technical Manuals) will be a good thing. We host those files here if you need to pour over one or several...

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Outfit!

Sweet Looking wrecker...

Glad to hear that you have a motor sergeant willing to work with you! Yep, knowing the TM's (Technical Manuals) will be a good thing. We host those files here if you need to pour over one or several...

Thank you! I actually downloaded the applicable ones to my laptop and computer, they are a great resource.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the disease from 60 road-miles northeast of you .. nice clean truck ! The closest I ever got to your area while in any part of the military was an 18-hour day with a M54A1 and M105 trailer to/from the airlift group in Schenectady to pick up duffles and field equipment of the Battalion's tank crews returning from their 3 weeks of special fun in the sun at Ft Irwin CA.. It was a sight when approx 45 rough-n-tumble guys with filthy and dusty fatigues (OG107's) stumbled out from each of two C130's with two duffles and their carry-on gear.. About half of the 90-some men flopped on their backs to stretch out on the tarmac, while others knelt down to kiss it.. It had been a non-stop flight of at least 7 hours in those C130's ..

I think they must've really thought their army bus ride back to their four prospective armories scattered all across the neighboring state to the east must've been like riding in a cadillac ;) .. I bet your wrecker rides like a cadillac compared to the old 5-tons ! I was a senior NCO when the BN's got the M939-series and my guys transistioned to them.. I never rode/drove an automatic 6x6 except for an old M211..

Enjoy your new truck ! Be sure to keep that cable oiled and/or greased.. I know its tempting, but you won't want to use WMO due to its acids, especially if it was from a diesel engine .. Think of that cable as being THE most important part of the whole truck ( if you are gonna do any hoisting)

Last edited:

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the disease from 60 road-miles northeast of you .. nice clean truck ! The closest I ever got to your area while in any part of the military was an 18-hour day with a M54A1 and M105 trailer to/from the airlift group in Schenectady to pick up duffles and field equipment of the Battalion's tank crews returning from their 3 weeks of special fun in the sun at Ft Irwin CA.. It was a sight when approx 45 rough-n-tumble guys with filthy and dusty fatigues (OG107's) stumbled out from each of two C130's with two duffles and their carry-on gear.. About half of the 90-some men flopped on their backs to stretch out on the tarmac, while others knelt down to kiss it.. It had been a non-stop flight of at least 7 hours in those C130's ..

I think they must've really thought their army bus ride back to their four prospective armories scattered all across the neighboring state to the east must've been like riding in a cadillac ;) .. I bet your wrecker rides like a cadillac compared to the old 5-tons ! I was a senior NCO when the BN's got the M939-series and my guys transistioned to them.. I never rode/drove an automatic 6x6 except for an old M211..

Enjoy your new truck ! Be sure to keep that cable oiled and/or greased.. I know its tempting, but you won't want to use WMO due to its acids, especially if it was from a diesel engine .. Think of that cable as being THE most important part of the whole truck ( if you are gonna do any hoisting)
I bet it does compared to the M54 ! Thanks for the advice on the cable, im actually going to replace the hoist cable as I see it as cheap insurance on cable of unknown age/past operating conditions

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet it does compared to the M54 ! Thanks for the advice on the cable, im actually going to replace the hoist cable as I see it as cheap insurance on cable of unknown age/past operating conditions
new or old, it should be run out and inspected periodically for wear, flat spots, twist/kinks, frays , etc .. Include the boom, rollers, pins, hoses/pipes, etc with your inspection .. The TM's are your guide to the time-tested PMCS procedure and operation

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
new or old, it should be run out and inspected periodically for wear, flat spots, twist/kinks, frays , etc .. Include the boom, rollers, pins, hoses/pipes, etc with your inspection .. The TM's are your guide to the time-tested PMCS procedure and operation
Absolutely agree, the new hoist cable is sitting in the shop waiting to get installed, the front winch cable has a bad section so on the fence about shortening it vs replacing and the rear winch still needs to be pulled out, inspected and lubed before use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks