• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Newbie Post - M1078 General Misc and Drive Train Conversation

Have you modified the drivetrain?

• Nope - No Need / Bad Idea

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Yes - I have performance modified the engine

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes - I installed high speed gears

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yes - I no longer run stock tires

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

REDee

Wow - thank you so much Aernan and Simp5782 - these are by far 2 of the best posts I’ve read - you all have given me a ton to think about !!!

Aernan

You have lots of tire and wheel choices if you aren't picky on strictly being military. The military type tires can also be bought new for not as much as you would think directly from Goodyear or Michelin. . You have 395s, 14.00s,16.00s in 20in wheels.

You also have 12R22.5,13R22.5,12R24,11R24.5,12R24.5,13R24.5 tires and wheels available. And modifying the CTIS wheel valves is easy for those wheels.

Goodyear MVTs are rated to 81mph, some XZL setups are rated for 77mph with the large bore valve stems and all of the larger wheel tires are high speed rated.

If you are paying $1 per pound for an lmtv you are overpaying by about $10,000. Or more.

Most bearings and air brake parts are available commercially since that is a cross the board industry standard. Alot of the goofy things aren't comparable commercially like the older m809 and 939 trucks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This is awesome I had no idea. Now I really want low ratio diffs.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
For those who do not know tire measurements. For a 12R24.5 it Is 12" + 24.5" + 12". And so on for other sizes.

You can also dual up a 12R20 with the right type of wheel on the rear of an LMTV/FMTV. I think it would be pretty mean looking to dual up a 5ton FMTV dump truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
With respect to your need for a 16' box, some have stretched the frame, others have built the box past the frame with an angle at the bottom.
As an FYI, once you go past the original 20' OAL your costs for any ferry trip.

REDee

Thank you ... I had planned to rework the engine air inlet and relocate the spare to push the box closer to the cab and limit the overhang on the back to apx 24”. Looks possible - thoughts?

coachgeo

Thank you ... I had planned to rework the engine air inlet and relocate the spare to push the box closer to the cab and limit the overhang on the back to apx 24”. Looks possible - thoughts?
if recall right have heard of using the 939 air cleaner setup. allows one to tuck the air cleaner into cabinet of the camper box. It is designed to sit very low on the chassis unlike the FMTV OEM. It is a little more compact and designed to fit very low on chassis. Granted one could tuck the stock air cleaner into a cabinet on the camper box as well if your having a custom box built right behind cab. Granted if you have that kind of funds.... then just order a custom air cleaner from Donaldson. That is whom made the one that is on it now.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Excap has low profile air filters for our truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
different engine on a steyr...thus it is made for different air filter requirements ( volume, flow etc.) IMHO Just go donaldson and match it perfect...... Donaldson will end up same cost or more likely less costly, than importing one AND it will be perfectly matched to the engine.

Aernan

different engine on a steyr...thus it is made for different air filter requirements ( volume, flow etc.) IMHO Just go donaldson and match it perfect...... Donaldson will end up same cost or more likely less costly, than importing one AND it will be perfectly matched to the engine.
http://www.military-today.com/trucks/steyr_12m18.htm
"Vehicle is powered by a Steyr WD 612.74 6.6-liter turbocharged diesel engine, developing 177 hp. It is mated to a ZF 7-speed manual transmission."

I'm not certain what boost it runs but I'm going to say an intake for a 6.6 liter diesel would probably work fine on another of same displacement.

In addition I believe the bliss or die folks had couch offroad fit on.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk88MWcHVg7/

REDee

@Simp5782 - Question for you - are the wheel stud patterns a standard size? In other words - if I go with a R24.5 tire ... where do I find the wheels? (Sorry if this a uber-newbie question ... my wheel experience is all with light truck and hot rod wheels ...)

I get it that the wheels are 10 lug wheels - I think what I need to know is the bolt diameter - and if that lines up with a standard OTR truck. I am not looking to change from the standard size - and I think the Goodyear mvt 395/85/20 g would be ideal - just looking for options and a future proof plan - or a second pair of shoes depending on where I want to head.

I'd still like to know what the options are - but from a quick look - seems your lucky to find an OTR tire larger than 43"-44" OD - and would be a poor choice unless you did some major regear work.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks