• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Humvee shops / business on here?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If time is money, wouldn't you be further ahead with the 700R4 transmission as far as install goes? Aside from the debate on the 700r4 not being adequate. From my understanding, having never installed either, from my readings the 700r4 is a much easier install. Is that not the case?
The majority of the work is putting in the new trans and Tcase...the 4L80 and it’s associated components were made for this trucks applications. Prices vary greatly based on what you pay for each component.
if your patient, you can source a lot of it at very reasonable prices.
As I tell all my customers, pay now or pay later.

dhaumann69166

Funny how you have to build it up to get it even close to a stock 4L80e.
You aren’t saving any money, 4L80e is far more prolific then an R4, Parts are all over the place and cheap.
Ive consulted with many trans shops that want nothing to do with an R4, and yes, I’m aware everyone has an opinion, but we don’t do this as a hobby, I see what works and what doesn’t on a daily basis.
So drag racers, rock crawlers and mud racers are all wrong? Seems like the 700r4 hold up just fine for them and you can get parts for a 700r4 pretty much anyplace you can get parts for 4l80. To each their own but both tranny’s will work just fine.

JoeJrTheBarber

I have a built 4L80e in my 850hp 55 Bel- Air because its the best trans for high HP cars that actually want to drive on the tollway (overdrive).
The 700r4 would never handle that kinda HP, but a "Built" 700R4 with good parts will handle the hp/toqure of a 6.2 / 6.5L Humvee all day long.
Add in the no electronics and almost a direct swap of the stock trans and this is clearly the way to go (over the 4l80E).
I wouldn't be surprised that allot of shops push the 4l80e swap in Humvee's because it's more involved which ='s more labor.
Not saying anyone on here specifically so lets all relax...

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

You should both try and remember your on a HMMWV forum.
At one point in time it was all about people restoring them.
Not long ago the board was hijacked by a bunch of recent HMMWV owners that no longer care about keeping things original.
until the day comes that the technical manual section has a modified section then HMMWV mechanics are going to do things by the book

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Following along with the original base models 1984 ish to current, I am under the impression that there wasn't an "original" model. Seems from the get go, nothing but modifications. In many cases "form and fit" was more to sale add-on to keep the war machine going or making bucks in some politicians district. (Not discounting we needed something done to save soldiers lifes and get the job done)

Having an M998 and reflecting back on the WWll jeeps, M38A1, M37, CUCV's that I have owned, the HUMMWV was more of a platform than a vehicle. (short of wheels, engine and all the stuff to make it go)

Like the cigarette commercial... 'We've come a long way baby' maybe truer with all the technology today and at our disposal. Key fob start, back-up camera, engine swaps, 4 speeds, stereo blaster, cup holders... just makes civilian ownership of an old military Hummwv the new street standard for >2018.

As for mine... it's camo, helmet top, pretty much stock, loud and hot, with a few creature comforts.

What's in your ride?

Viking Dude in the Mojave Desert

5014cattivo

Just had this done, could not be happier. Sully199 on here did the work. I think the swap was $5500 (bill was higher but other services were performed) switched to a 4L80E, had to swap tcase and switched to gps Speedo and odometer.
Running 70mph super smooth on the highway. Just came back from a 2300mile trip. Happy with the upgrade. Ran 180-185 temp entire trip.

AOR

Just had this done, could not be happier. Sully199 on here did the work. I think the swap was $5500 (bill was higher but other services were performed) switched to a 4L80E, had to swap tcase and switched to gps Speedo and odometer.
Running 70mph super smooth on the highway. Just came back from a 2300mile trip. Happy with the upgrade. Ran 180-185 temp entire trip.
Please post pics of your seats and how tall you are that you survived a 2300 mile trip. I find after 23 miles I am ready to get out and walk around for a few minutes to decompress

tage

Following along with the original base models 1984 ish to current, I am under the impression that there wasn't an "original" model. Seems from the get go, nothing but modifications. In many cases "form and fit" was more to sale add-on to keep the war machine going or making bucks in some politicians district. (Not discounting we needed something done to save soldiers lifes and get the job done)
to a certain extent. mil trucks are maintained to a standard and often times a standard that is excelled when PMCS is done by someone with 2 brain cells to rub together... when they break they got fixed (subject to parts availability). Nothing more then fleet maintained vehicles.
That said you will never see any fleet maintained vehicle toast a diesel engine and swap in a gas engine because it's easier, or cheaper. or when you fry a eess and you just bypass it by running hardwires to the GP's and a push button switch. Just not going to happen. Even municipals that are running 100's or dump trucks, 100's of diesel picks, ect. we'they get fixed to the standard. Look at LLV's the post office uses. those trucks are from the 80's, and they run year round on ****ty postal employees that abuse the **** out of them. they don't get upgraded anything. They are fixed to a standard (stock) and put back out to service... They don't even get rebuilt like the military vehicles do....

As mentioned above there's us that keep them running in original config, and then there's the the guys that want a dirty max swap, cummins swap, and everything under the sun... With every car/truck forum though there's the swap crowd, and usually those guys are looked down upon. (think Porsche forum with a LS swap threads), but the cool thing is everyone is entitled to their "dreams" and I do enjoy to see finished trucks with unique engine combos, however, recently the influx of dreamers are quite annoying and should be banned... That and cheap owners that don't understand that this hobby costs money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks