• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Missouri owners here?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post your questions.

ZZZZZZCOBRA1

I am a Missouri guy and am getting ready to purchasing a Humvee from another state. It will be coming from out of state with a clean street title. I will be registering and getting plates for Mo.

Couple questions.

It has a shorter VIN than the normal 17 digits? I am sure the DMV will bring this up. What is the best way to handle this?

Also, would you guys recommend going for the historic plates as the vehicle is old enough.

Just trying to do my research before going up to the DMV. Thanks for your input!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like pulling teeth...

How do you plan to use it?

Have you looked into insurance?

Have you asked your local DMV?

Flyingvan911

One of the guys in St Louis bought a M151 from a friend in Kansas with a title and short VIN. He said he had to have the VIN checked by the local police but it wasn’t a big deal. I think he got an antique plate. The antique plates in Missouri do have some mileage and use restriction. You can find the exact numbers on the Missouri Dept of Revenue website.

ZZZZZZCOBRA1

That is great info thank you. I currently have one vehicle with historic plates so I'm familiar with that process. Just was trying to make things go smooth and wasn't sure if that short VIN was going to cause me problems. As far as previous question, I got a quote on insurance earlier and seem pretty cheap, this also won't be driven a ton but I'll be driven enough to run around with the kids Etc... Just wanted to make sure I slid through the plate process by doing what everybody else was doing.

Awol

The short VIN shouldn't give you any problems, especially if the truck already has a clean title from another state. It really depends who you deal with at the DMV. If you get one of those rude ladies, who want nothing more than to screw with you, then you're in for it.

Overall, you should be good to go.

BLK HMMWV

Thanks you!

Also, BLK HMMWV I assume that is a picture of your truck in the profile pic. Do you have any other pics? Same look I was going to go for.
That was it in one of it's previous incarnations many years ago.
It is in the middle of another at the moment. I change it around often as I only have one HMMWV but many different parts and pieces.
I think of it as a Frankin HMMWV. It's a little bit of every thing HMMWV.
BH

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fact that the vehicle is titled in another state will be beneficial. However, the VIN may still require verification with a Missouri Department of Revenue Form DOR 551 or DOR 5062 or BOTH! Check with DMV in Jefferson City for your specific vehicle.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tough you can download the forms online, DOR Form 551 must be purchased at your local motor vehicle license bureau. I believe the cost is $25 + $2.50 processing charge + additional charge if you use a credit card! Both the Form 551 and Form 5062 require sign off from a local motor vehicle inspector from MSHP. I believe there are some special provisions for St. Louis County motor vehicle inspectors also.

ZZZZZZCOBRA1

Thanks. Are the motor vehicle inspector from MSHP typically easy to work with on their inspections? Would you try to get the plates first and see if they require these inspections or go ahead and do these inspections first?

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The forms (if DMV says they are needed in your case) must be completed as part of the application for title. Application for title must be made before purchasing the license plate. Sorry, but you are probably going to need to call DMV and get a ruling from them!

Lust4GreenSteel

When I bought my deuce, it had been titled in another state. I still had to have the MSHP verify the vin number. Since the truck didn't have working brakes, a local trooper came to the farm at a time convenient to both of us. He looked at the truck, signed the form and stayed to talk about the truck until he got a call for something more important.

ZZZZZZCOBRA1

That sounds like it wasn't a bad experience. Thanks for the input! I think having the proper knowledge from you guys on how to title one of these the smoothest way possible is so much better for all of us than just someone going in blind fighting with one of these DMV offices when things are not going smooth. This way no one gets upset, no red flags etc... Makes it much easier on the next guy with the same stuff.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify, the MSHP Troopers and Vehicle Inspectors have always been great to work with! They have been very interested in the vehicles and have gone to great lengths to attempt to clarify how to properly title the military vehicles. The Department of Revenue has gone through several title revisions for military vehicles. Some of the title request go through quickly, some take several months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks