• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any modified parking brake

Hummer Guy

I'm getting to change the cable, I just need to adjust it and put on the top spring on the upper shoe. Has anyone ever dummy proof the parking brake? As in dummy proof, I mean some indicator as to whether or not its applied. Its extremely easy to forget since the brake handle is literally hidden out of sight.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your question, no, I have no indicator telling me that the parking brake is engaged, other than the fact that my truck will not move if the parking brake is engaged, it works extremely well .

I hear guys say that their parking brake is absolutely worthless and I'm not sure why if your drum is in good shape your shoes are in good shape and it is squeezing that drum it's pretty effective .

There is a procedure to adjusting those shoes properly, I believe it's covered in tactical repairs videos on YouTube as well as the TM for that truck, when adjusted properly it puts more surface area of the shoes towards the drum and keeps the shoes wearing evenly .

If that doesn't work for you, you could always put a momentary switch on the handle and a light on the dash if need be .

Hummer Guy

To answer your question, no, I have no indicator telling me that the parking brake is engaged, other than the fact that my truck will not move if the parking brake is engaged, it works extremely well .

I hear guys say that their parking brake is absolutely worthless and I'm not sure why if your drum is in good shape your shoes are in good shape and it is squeezing that drum it's pretty effective .

There is a procedure to adjusting those shoes properly, I believe it's covered in tactical repairs videos on YouTube as well as the TM for that truck, when adjusted properly it puts more surface area of the shoes towards the drum and keeps the shoes wearing evenly .

If that doesn't work for you, you could always put a momentary switch on the handle and a light on the dash if need be .
Yea, Im hoping mines work this way, my shoes and drum looks good, before I broke my other cable, my truck would only go 30 mph with it on.

HDN

I'm getting to change the cable, I just need to adjust it and put on the top spring on the upper shoe. Has anyone ever dummy proof the parking brake? As in dummy proof, I mean some indicator as to whether or not its applied. Its extremely easy to forget since the brake handle is literally hidden out of sight.
The trucks with dual-circuit brakes have an indicator installed in the middle of the gauge cluster that shows whether the parking brake is engaged. It also lights up when a circuit loses hydraulic pressure!

1699187799096.png

I think it would be a neat idea to install such a light on the dashboard somewhere to show you whether or not the parking brake is engaged.

tguinn

The trucks with dual-circuit brakes have an indicator installed in the middle of the gauge cluster that shows whether the parking brake is engaged. It also lights up when a circuit loses hydraulic pressure!

View attachment 909770

I think it would be a neat idea to install such a light on the dashboard somewhere to show you whether or not the parking brake is engaged.
Like this, didn't cost much, l.e.d light and a microswitch

Attachments

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@clinto said:

I don't think a pinion brake is a good idea on these trucks. There are several threads explaining the issues, but driveshaft speed and the open differentials make them not a good match for our trucks.

The pinion brake grabs on to the opposite end of the same driveline as the factory parking brake does, so there is zero difference as far as how the differentials work, but there are a few pluses such as the simplicity and the fact that you can run down to Napa and just get new pads or rotor and don't have to go through a technical adjustment procedure, and the parts are new .

I will eventually add one to mine as a back up, I am already converting from drum to disc brakes this winter/spring and eliminating those wheel cylinders, one at a time .

Hummer Guy

@clinto said:

I don't think a pinion brake is a good idea on these trucks. There are several threads explaining the issues, but driveshaft speed and the open differentials make them not a good match for our trucks.

The pinion brake grabs on to the opposite end of the same driveline as the factory parking brake does, so there is zero difference as far as how the differentials work, but there are a few pluses such as the simplicity and the fact that you can run down to Napa and just get new pads or rotor and don't have to go through a technical adjustment procedure, and the parts are new .

I will eventually add one to mine as a back up, I am already converting from drum to disc brakes this winter/spring and eliminating those wheel cylinders, one at a time .
Im planning on doing the same next year with disc brakes.

Hummer Guy

I got the parking brake fixed up, it holds on a incline easily. I almost got everything perfectly functional besides a oil leak somewhere around the filter, I thought it was the housing under the filters but I was wrong, Im starting to think its the whole housing leaking.

Off topic, I turned the fuel up just a little because my truck was hard to start and it made a world difference, it starts like a brand-new truck and has much more power, the EGTs stay around 900F. No more being full on the throttle to just stay at 45Mph.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks