• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any suggested improvements on my WMO filter setup before I use it?

reset2

I have been blending WMO for about a year now. The best way to do this on a small scale at first to learn how it works. I start with 5 gallon pails. The ratio I use is 20% RUG (Regular Unleaded Gasoline) and 80% WMO. Put in almost a gallon of RUG in a bucket then pour in the WMO on top of the gas. Let sit for one or two months. Pour off about 4 to 4.5 gallons of oil. The last 1/2 to one gallon will be where the bad stuff is. If you pour off all the oil to see what is in the bottom you will be surprised. The RUG thins and reduces the WMO and leaves this slime on the bottom that you DON'T want to burn. Currently looking into a Simple Centrifuge for the next step. Currently I run the blend through a 5 micron house water filter to complete. Then I used it 50/50 with Diesel. I have been pleased with the results.

Beyond Biodiesel

This seems like sound advice, reset2. I mostly make my DIY diesel fuel out of WVO, but much the same way you make your WMO diesel fuel, except I find I only need to settle WVO-gasoline bends for about 1-2 weeks. I am still making fuel in the 5 gallon buckets it comes in after 7 years.

I have experimented with WMO for almost the whole 7 years. About 4 years ago I did a number of experiments to see how long WMO-gasoline blends need to settle for. I found 1-2 months, as you have, was about right. I recently inspected a WMO-gasoline blend that I left settling for a year after separating it from its sediments after a month. I still found a thin layer of black crud at the bottom, so I think you are right on with your 2 month settling period.

I also found that WMO burns better in my N/A 6.2L diesel engine, if it is also diluted down to below 20%. From reading on a number of diesel forums, it looks like the turbo charged direct injected (DI) diesel engines burn WMO-gasoline blends at 80% with no problems.

JonMolander

And watch out for the tax man, I don't know how rich of a ratio you'll be running or at what point it becomes fuel verses a additive, but here's the first piece of the tax info. You'll have to check with your State Department of Revenue for the other answers but here's the Federal Tax info. Top of page 4 Exclusions: Minor Blending applys to us.

FordMechanic, if I understand this correctly, if I produce less than 400 gallons of WMO blend per quarter, I shouldn't even worry about it? Seems like a lot actually. I don't think I even use that much in No.2 Diesel anyhow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks