• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody else running Spartan Lockers in their deuce axles?

sewerzuk

Curious if anybody else is running a Spartan locker in their truck? Since this is a relatively new product, I'm just wondering if anybody else has had a ny good or bad experiences with the Spartan. People in the rock crawling world seem to like them better than the detroits.

I have had the chance to use mine (just around my property) and initial impressions are good; I only have 1 in the front axle right now, but I'll drop a second one in the front tandem this weekend. For details on the install, go here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...1-all-stuff-i-did-my-deuce-right-here-26.html

I have run just about every brand and style of limited slip, locker, spool, etc. in many vehicles, but this is my first locked up Deuce. It seems to work perfectly...in fact, much better than with smaller and lighter vehicles. Less unnecessary engagement, quieter (although maybe I just can't hear the clicking and bangs over the LDT). The price is excellent too; with a little shopping around, you can find them for around $400 delivered. I got mine from Low Range Off Road: One Stop for Suzuki and Toyota Off Road Parts
I wanted to get some run time with 2 of them in my deuce first, but I may switch to ARB's in the future (not because I dislike the Spartans, but because I really like selectable lockers on a truck that sees street miles). I'll make that call after I have a year or so on the Spartans in the rear axles.

Heath_h49008

Why did you pick the front tandem? It would seem like the rear would be the one that would "Dig" if locked and the front would "Hop" as they swung on the arms.

How does the locker feel in the front? I know you have lock outs on that axle as well, so I know you won't have pavement issues, but how does she turn with the locker? Smooth?

Keep the pics coming!

sewerzuk

Why did you pick the front tandem? It would seem like the rear would be the one that would "Dig" if locked and the front would "Hop" as they swung on the arms.

How does the locker feel in the front? I know you have lock outs on that axle as well, so I know you won't have pavement issues, but how does she turn with the locker? Smooth?

Keep the pics coming!
All 3 axles will eventually have spartans in them; I am doing the front tandem first because it has a bad pinion bearing, and it made more sense to just swap in a "built" donor 3rd member with a spartan in it than it did to try to replace the bearing while it was under the truck. Here is how my upgrade sequence goes:

1. Buy a complete "donor" 3rd member (actually, I got my hands on a set of donor axles)

2. Install the spartan in one of the donor 3rd members

3. Install the "built" 3rd into the front axle

4. Take the 3rd from the front axle and install a spartan in it

5. Take the front 3rd member I just built, and drop it into the front tandem

6. Take the 3rd from the front tandem and repair/rebuild it, and install a new spartan in it

7. Install the 3rd I just built, and drop it into the back tandem

8. Take the 3rd from the back tandem and clean it up/repair it (if necessary)

9. Replace the missing 3rd member from my donor axles with the rebuilt 3rd from the rear tandem

10. Put the donor axles up for sale

I really can't feel the front locker engage at all...but that is mostly due to the hydraulic steering. It does seem to work nicely...I've had automatic lockers in the past that "partially" engaged with a loud bang and pop regularly...didn't care for that too much. These don't seem to do that at all.

sewerzuk

I've been mulling this question over ever since you asked it...in my case it doesn't matter since I'll have 3 lockers eventually. But...what if somebody wanted only 1 locker in the back axles; which one should it go into?

I can think of scenarios where a locker would be better in the front tandems, and scenarios where it would be better in the back.

As Heath_h49008 pointed out, because of suspension design, the rear tandem would tend to drive downward under a load. This would be an advantage when pulling a heavy load, on flat ground (or in the mud) under power, etc. It would also be an advantage at the transition to a steep hill, when the front tandems can actually become airborne. It may also be an advantage when traversing a large ditch; when the opposite corners of the truck carry all of the weight.

However...it would be an advantage in the front tandem in several situations too! Imagine climbing up a rough trail; when the front tandems encounter a large boulder, berm, ledge, etc. they will have most of the truck's rear weight on them as they begin to climb up and would benefit from the locker. They also carry much of the weight when cresting a large hill or dune face. At Winchester bay last year there were several hills I climbed that left the rear tandems completely airborne. At mudfest last year I got stuck in a relatively minor mudhole where most of the truck's weight was on one side of the front tandem and the opposite side front tire; a locker then would have allowed me to drive out of that spot easily!

I guess that the right answer is...its up to you and the type of terrain you will be driving on!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks