• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever half cover a deuce cargo bed?

Paraord

Hey guys,

Bit of an odd one for ya but I kinda wanna run like a half cargo cover on their deuce. Anyone ever do this or have an idea how to do so? Maybe an m105 trailer cover? Some of the stuff I end up doing with the deuce it would be great to have it setup to stand in a portion of the bed unimpeded and also have the cover on the other section down to the walls like normal. Running 3 sections of bows like my pic but the side walls down.

PXL_20220702_002328594~2.jpg

Let me know if anyone has any ideas!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys,

Bit of an odd one for ya but I kinda wanna run like a half cargo cover on their deuce. Anyone ever do this or have an idea how to do so? Maybe an m105 trailer cover? Some of the stuff I end up doing with the deuce it would be great to have it setup to stand in a portion of the bed unimpeded and also have the cover on the other section down to the walls like normal. Running 3 sections of bows like my pic but the side walls down.

View attachment 872062

Let me know if anyone has any ideas!
Interested to see what you get back @Paraord .

I had a lot of interest stirred up last week when a parade down in Louisiana had a guy with a "bikini top" for his Deuce. It was just a simple white top - covering the top only. No Sides. Wouldn't work going faster than parade speeds... Taller uprights to get the bows higher so people could stand up. That was (still is to me) a really appealing idea.

rustystud

I've seen a Deuce that had lengthened the upright Bows so he could stand up straight under the cover. He added two feet to the sides length using decking wood. I believe it was that synthetic stuff. Still looked pretty cool. Kinda like an old "Woody" car. He tapered the front to go down to the cab roof. Looked like a Semi-Trucks sleeper !
As far as only going halfway back, well that is totally up to you. It is your Deuce after all. Do what you want.

ToddJK

I'm curious to see what the end result will look like. Not sure if a M105 cover will work since it has to wrap around the tailgate, unless you raise the bows so it can clear the bed sides or just tie out the sides and just leave the rear flap hanging down. Could always install a couple eye bolts or hooks somewhere in the bed to tie the rear flap down too. Maybe even use some canvas from the rear flap to extend to the sides and reach the floor. Tons of possibilities but I think it's a cool idea that will catch some interest.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered longer upright pieces (fiberglass type) from Stephan Wood Products 5 or 6 years ago. Gave them the length I wanted and they cut them to length. I wanted the bows to be high enough to cover an S-280 shelter and to be able to put part of an old cargo parachute over the top as a sun shield.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, Bit of an odd one for ya but I kinda wanna run like a half cargo cover on their deuce. Anyone ever do this or have an idea how to do so? Maybe an m105 trailer cover?
Not totally odd, the trailer cover is a good idea. But although a pain, on a full cover you can roll up the sides or fold them up underneath (looks the best) or flip them up on top of themselves and tie them together on top of the bows, just to have shade like a bikini top over the entire bed.. We used to do that when hauling certain tank/arty ammo in the M54's .. We also would bunch up a full top over the 1st two bows during loading/unloading .. A lot of material to handle alone , thus your idea is much better !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have run my deuce with an LMTV cargo cover. One time I ran with the sides and rear in the raised position and the top of the cover separated at the seams. I will not make that mistake again!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a great idea. Drainage in the rain age calls for a water dam between the fenders, .....or a lifted floor in the bed area so water can drain under/ out a hole. or a combo to manage water. Maybe a solid back/mid wall would be better with a rain seal on the bottom, a door with a knocker . The back wall of canvas will vacuum at cruising speed and suck spray, rocks, bugs rain, ........everything gets sucked against the back wall. When you pass a semi going the other direction the canvas will snap like a whip so that back wall, mid bed would need to be done well with drainage/rain/snow/melt/spilled beer/spilled fuel/ blood and extreme wind all planned out.

Short box sleepers are very handy with room for a Moose in the box, outdoor fuel storage, propane bottles, missiles all out of the sleep area. I built both 6' and 4' sleep areas in the 80's. The only problem we had besides water on the floor was the little lady stepping out of the back door to grab beer out of the cooler, on the highway.

P2010684.JPGPA151255.jpg26166925_1360515734075123_5457363283107121739_n.jpg

The Early CDN deuce had both cab level and head room options for the sides. I had the front one dropped and the rest all at walk-in height for that aerodyne feel. Never tried the half box cover on the deuce so looking forward to seeing it done.

P7151322.JPGP8060556 (2).JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks