• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone got pics of RADIAL 14.00-20 duals on a 5-ton?

DMgunn

I am sure this has been covered a million times, but as usual, I can't find anything with the search function.

I am considering running radial 14.00-20 duals on my factory wheels, and want to see some pics of a truck set up that way. I want to see the difference in contact area and the general "look" against the ancient ND-whatevers.

I had planned on running 16.00s singled out to help with road speed and rpms, but after reading the Hurricane Katrina thread, I am back to preferring the redundancy of duals, as well as the added flotation on semi-soft surfaces. I know I would be overwidth by a full foot, but in ND, the fine is only $20. That is, if it is even noticed.

I would love to see some pics of a truck with 14.00 RADIAL duals, preferrably XLs or XMLs. Are there any out there? Thank you in advance for any help.

P.S. Feel free to try to reason with me - I haven't made my final decision yet.

m139h2otruck

Based on how our truck looked with the duals, I think that the 1400x20 radials would look and work fine. I even think that the 1600x20s would fit. Looking at our M812 again, I'm sure it would work.

At the truck show I went to on the 19th, I met and talked to an MV owner with a 5 ton dump that mentioned that the bridge trucks have wider rear axle housings than other 5 tons. Now I have heard this before, but standing and looking at his truck's rear end and how close the spring mounts are to the brake backing plates, it finally sunk in!! By my quick measurements, the bridge trucks are at 58" or so and the Mack tractor is 52-53" (backing plate to backing plate). Why it didn't occur to me before was that his dumper had super singles on the back and the hubs were not turned and you can really see the difference next to the water truck.

DMgunn

I am leaing towards staying with 14.00s, only radials, because I can use the existing wheels all around and carry one style of spare wheel. If I run 16.00s, which would be extreme overkill dualled up, I would add a huge amount to my already excessive turning radius (using stock wheels).

SO, it's either singled 16.00s on combat rims, or 14.00 radial duals, which gives me better flotation and 4 potential "spares" if (God forbid) I use up the first two.

Remember the thread where Rizzo was stuck in seemingly firm ground? That is a scenario where dual 14.00s would most likely out-perform singled 16.00s. Significantly lower ground pressure would have been more likely to keep it on the surface, where the drawbacks of duals in ruts would not come into play. My truck isn't going into rutted mud pits. But it will frequently find itself on saturated sod and stubble, where the idea is to "float" and never tear the ground open. Worst case scenario, the spares go up front for duals all around.

Just would like to see a truck set up this way, to make sure that the "cockiness factor" is satisfied.

m139h2otruck

Without a lot of work, the bridge truck wheels won't fit the wreckers, as the axles are too short and the inside wheels will hit the springs.

redass73

i know the off set is different. if the wheels are the same width then there is only tire to frame/spring clearance check. I need better tires pretty bad. truck came with 11.00/20 radials but they are all steer tires. they suck off road.

m139h2otruck

Bridge truck wheels are 10" wide by 20" with a very big off-set. I don't even think that they will bolt up to a standard 5 ton with out spacers.

DMgunn

You will need a minimum 14" of clearance between the WMS and the nearest obstruction (springs, mounts, etc.) for the bridge truck wheels to clear.

m139h2otruck

I took some pictures of the inside and outside of the rear tires (duals) not the M812A1 to show the deep dish wheels and the different mounting of the spring plates to the axles. Standard trucks have the spring perches much closer to the backing plate. The middle picture just shows how close the front wheel is even with the spacer on the hub.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks