• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anyone install a lockout hub on a rear axle?

kovi

I've been searching through threads but, havent found anything as of yet, so... has anyone ever put a lockout on the int or rear axle to help with steering and traction?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I found myself in a position a couple years ago trying to turn around on a narrow piece of land with steep drop offs on both sides. At one point, I had backed up and my rearmost axle was actually hanging in air. To be sure, I hadn't realized this or intended this at the time, but it was my center axle that saved the day.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@montaillou If you had had a centre axle lockout, you would have locked that in very gingerly at that point, I suppose! The parking brake better work!

I also read a reply from a forum member that got hung up in a parking lot on the speed bumps and was unable to traverse without locking the axle in. Too much hassle IMHO.

tobyS

It would be handy just to relieve stress in cornering. I think it needs the axle splined.

If I wanted to tow very far, I would pull the axles and make covers. Only the splined outer part needs removed on the front. Front covers could use dished air tank heads and a flange. I almost made a set for 5 ton but didn't.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lateral movement of the axles helps with this, does it not? What kind of problems can this stress lead to?
1) There shouldn't be much any lateral movement of the axles, on flat ground.
2) While cornering, the rear tires all follow a different turning radius, but since we have no inter-axle differential, there's always some wind-up, with the resulting tire scrubbing while on firm ground. Not so bad when unloaded, but really stressing all components when loaded to full capacity!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks