• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know what this is?

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image_2023-08-09_173310289.png

The pictures do not include a plate with name/specs nor does the listing and I'm curious as to what it is and specs.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Scoobyshep

Thanks for the responses, really like the design of it was thinking about grabbing it if it was even slightly useful to me but it would appear as it is not.
If you have money to blow there is ways to make 60 hz power. Or any non rotating things should work (resistive heat lights etc. No motors)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long time ago, back in 1986 or so, I was stationed at Hill AFB and we had some ancient power carts called MD3’s. They were capable of self propulsion at an underwhelming speed of 20 feet per minute or there about. The last one I saw was being towed behind an aircraft tug and was headed for the AGE shop. The tug made a RH turn but the MD3 kept going straight. The pin connecting the tow bar to the MD3 sheared. It kept going and rammed someone’s pickup. We replaced all of them with Hobart power carts. They weren’t self propelled. It took 3-4 guys to move one from one helicopter to the next (tug not available).
They produced 28 VDC at 400hz if I remember correctly. Don’t hold me to that, it was my first year in the AF after serving four years in the Marines. Lots of memories but really fuzzy details.

Scoobyshep

A long time ago, back in 1986 or so, I was stationed at Hill AFB and we had some ancient power carts called MD3’s. They were capable of self propulsion at an underwhelming speed of 20 feet per minute or there about. The last one I saw was being towed behind an aircraft tug and was headed for the AGE shop. The tug made a RH turn but the MD3 kept going straight. The pin connecting the tow bar to the MD3 sheared. It kept going and rammed someone’s pickup. We replaced all of them with Hobart power carts. They weren’t self propelled. It took 3-4 guys to move one from one helicopter to the next (tug not available).
They produced 28 VDC at 400hz if I remember correctly. Don’t hold me to that, it was my first year in the AF after serving four years in the Marines. Lots of memories but really fuzzy details.
Typically they produce 28vdc and 120 400hz. Aircraft use the high frequency because motors and transformers can be smaller and lighter

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Yep, a 400Hz 1HP motor can turn 5200 RPM, and is about the size of a Quaker oats cardboard can.
We had 200 KW and a 100 KW motor converter sets, (General Dynamics) on our hawk site. 220/416 volt, 50 hertz to 416 three phase, 400 hertz. Both of them slept 4 people across. Kinda handy in the winter, when we were locked up on site. Ear plugs and Micky Mouse head phones. Might also be a good reason I wear hearing aids.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks