• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone out ther have a WWII International 1/2 ton?

citizensoldier

Just came accross a nice very rare WWII International 1/2 ton ambulance truck. Was wondering if anyone out there has one? If so what are they worth? Anyone have parts for them? Any info on these would be nice. Thanks ahead of time.

FrankUSMC

I have 3 WWII International trucks.
1944 M3-4 with winch
1945 M3-4 with winch
1943 M2-4 with winch
The ambulance is very rare, look for a complete body, that would be the hard part. Engine parts are still out there as some of the WWII motors were still made up into the 60s. You can find drive train parts, but it takes time. I get most of my parts from guys who are parting out a truck.
Nice trucks.
One of the few, Frank

citizensoldier

thanks

Thanks Frank. From what I can find it was one of about 800 made. The back is missing but it looks like the same box in the picture just had a canvas that went all the way back and tall side wood. There is not allot of info out there on these trucks. Do you have a good soarce? Is the rim the same combat rim as the old Dodge trucks? It looks to be the same pattern but I could not tell... The front is very complete because someone put a hard cab on it and it helped keep it nice. Engine compartement is complete right down to the horn.. I may try and save it if I can. :D Do you have specs on the box? It looks like it would be a easy build with the prints.

FrankUSMC

RE: thanks

Is it a M1-4 or a M2-4? (1/2 ton or 1 ton)
On the M2-4 (1 ton), yes, it is the same wheel as the Dodge 3/4 ton models. I am "thinking" they will also work on the 1/2 ton.
Do try to save it. I will help you all I can. There is a WWII movie about the Marines on Gaudalcanal that shows some great shots of an International ambulance. Several years ago, one came up for sell on the west coast. I have been collecting military trucks for over 20 years and that was the first one I have ever seen. I talked to a collector a few years ago whos father had a complete one......but, I think it ended up being scrapped by the Father.
I do wish you all the luck in the world on making it back into an ambulance.
One of the few, Frank

citizensoldier

1/2 ton

Its the half ton with 5 lug combat rims on it. Isnt the 1 ton 6 lug? Thats what the pictures I found showed. My buddy has all the data tag info but it definately had AMB after the model. Give me your regular email and I will send you some photos. Maybe you could give me a round about # on what its worth. Did they make a version with a winch?
Are you restoring one at this moment? Maybe you are interested? I am a M37 guy mostly and this was close to me so I went and looked.

FrankUSMC

RE: 1/2 ton

My e-mail is normandy@ec.rr.com
The half tons and the 1 tons both had the 5 lug wheels.
I think alot of confusen about the lugs on the 1 tons are because there is a photo of one being tested when they were being designed with 6 lug axles under it. To make matters worse, the photo was used in Fred Crismon's book on Military Vehicles. He states in the book it is the 1 ton model, and it is, but it is not the one that went into production as they went with the 5 lug axle. The book is HUGE, so little mistakes like that are bound to happen.
One of the few, Frank

citizensoldier

Thats why??

Yes Crismons book is what we had for info on it. Well the guy may join our Museum and restore the truck. If he doesnt and decides to sell it I may try and buy it or find someone like yourself that will. I rather see it worked on then continue to sit in a field and rot. There very neet old trucks. Thanks again Frank and if you find anymore info send it my way would ya. :D

70deuce

Is this M2-4 1/2 ton ????

Is this a very early model of an International M2-4 1/2 ton?? Found this truck which looks like its been sitting for awhile. Has the front bumper laying on the front frame with definite yellow bumper markings underneath some OD paint. One combat wheel on it. Same wheels as an M37. Civilian type gages in surprisingly good shape for Im guessing a 65 plus old truck. Has a staight six with Diamond cast on the side. No data plate except for shift pattern. Missing glove box door where maybe the data plates were. Can't find any date code markings anywhere.

Attachments

ETBaals

IHC amb

Hi
The Boyertown auto museum in Boyertown PA has a complete restored unit on display.
The rear body is wood and was made by the Boyertown body works, completely different from the standard cargo.
You can go online and look up the museum at www.boyertownmuseum.org
Good luck with the project
Ernie

here are some pics, sorry about the quality

Attachments

serf2

Parts

Is this a very early model of an International M2-4 1/2 ton?? Found this truck which looks like its been sitting for awhile. Has the front bumper laying on the front frame with definite yellow bumper markings underneath some OD paint. One combat wheel on it. Same wheels as an M37. Civilian type gages in surprisingly good shape for Im guessing a 65 plus old truck. Has a staight six with Diamond cast on the side. No data plate except for shift pattern. Missing glove box door where maybe the data plates were. Can't find any date code markings anywhere.
I am in need of a front axle for a M-2-4 if this truck would get parted out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks