• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone revert back to 24v?

caldreamz

Hi All, Its been a while as I got sidetracked by work and some civilian K5 rebuilds. I'm considering reverting my M1009 back to 24v. The current 12v setup seems to work but I don't know anything about how it was done (and more importantly if it was done correctly!) I suppose I could pretend I was starting over and go through the entire system but If I'm going to do that there is an attraction to taking it back to original(ish). Has anyone done this? Am I just being stupid to try? Other than the problem finding a starter is there a reason to avoid the 24v system?

nyoffroad

More than one person has done it, myself, no. I would if I came across a CUCV that was hacked (I have most if not all parts) but if the 12V was working I'd probably would leave it. Yeah, lots of help here huh?
I'd look it over real good, a tell-tale sign of a hack job would be any unsealed crimp connectors, wires taped together, or those stupid 3M wire tap connecters. If it looks hacked then it is hacked, if it looks 'clean' and well done look closer.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're lucky the person who did the 12V conversion followed this method. I'd suggest trying to trace things out, if they did then you can just reverse the directions to switch back to 24V. But if it was converted to 12V in an unknown hacked method you'll probably just have to study the original wiring schematics in the TMs and go about re-wiring it.

If you have to do it the hard way my suggestion would be to remove the diagnostic circuit (assuming it is still there) as in my opinion it is fairly useless at this point and when removed really simplifies the wiring under the hood.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, Its been a while as I got sidetracked by work and some civilian K5 rebuilds. I'm considering reverting my M1009 back to 24v. The current 12v setup seems to work but I don't know anything about how it was done (and more importantly if it was done correctly!) I suppose I could pretend I was starting over and go through the entire system but If I'm going to do that there is an attraction to taking it back to original(ish). Has anyone done this? Am I just being stupid to try? Other than the problem finding a starter is there a reason to avoid the 24v system?
Were the battery cables changed or kept stock? If stock pop it back to 24 volt or upgrade to bigger cables for 12 volt. You'd need alternator and brackets and hopefully no wiring if they left it all in. It's not hard changing to 12 volt.

Finnegan1008

Can you post a picture of your setup? That would tell us a lot about how it was done.

Knowing what you got is priceless and going back to 24v (a really good system) will get you fluent in your trucks wiring. Plus you will get a fresh starter (make sure this is installed properly to the specs outlined in the tech manual)

caldreamz

A little delay waiting for the rain to stop here in the PNW to grab some photos. ;)

It all seems to be working right now but the engine compartment is a mess of wires. The batteries look like a mashup out of the junkyard. The other interesting part is a pushbutton glow plug switch in the dash - not sure that was standard.

Attachments

Finnegan1008

Push button glow plus was not standard but it is a common bandaid when the factory glow plug controller starts to malfunction. Some may argue otherwise but it’s not a bad solution. Many including my self run this way with zero issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks