• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone running a front locker?

Kalashnikov

I think I would put the locker in the middle axle first since you can still chain up front. I say the middle because it is pulling some vs the rear pushing.

Mercunimog404

Banned
The Detroit will unlock on an unpowered axle but the force required to unlock it will cause issues with the on road performance and that is the reason that locking hubs are required. If you listen carefully you can hear the Detroit make a clicking sound. In theory it should work but the practical application is that it is not a good idea.

I have run a cross a lot of trucks with Detroit's in the rear axle but I have yet to find one with a Detroit in the front axle.
I'm not sure you understand how a Detroit locker works. It stays locked until you turn. Then it unlocks.

Maxgussam

I thought that it was locked while under power.
That is why a locker equipped vehicle resists the steering while cornering while on the throttle. If you corner while coasting, this doesn't happen.
Not a good idea to pull a trailer on a slippery, curvy road with a locker equipped truck.

Maxgussam

I was also wondering if the "spool" unit sold on the website I posted would be suitable for use and strong enough for my truck, which spends 90% of its time off road. With 2 of these in the drives, and a locker in front, the trucks off road performance would be awesome!

you have to understand how it works, even Detroit themselves say if you have problems with under steer to let off the throttle. If you apply throttle while turning it binds up the locker. The locker will still slip in a turn but it is fighting to try to turn the same speed as the other tire. The Detroit Locker is an automatic locking differential designed to lock both wheels of the axle together automatically with power input, when forward or reverse torque is applied, so that both wheels are providing 100% power to the ground. This action creates essentially a "spool" that solidly connects the axle shafts together. When torque is not being applied, the Detroit Locker is allowed to unlock, permitting a differentiation variance in wheel speed while negotiating turns.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Detroit-Locker-automatic-lockers.htm

I have just been wondering if instead of using tire chains on the rear of the truck if you could use some sort of track that ran between the tandems? I have seen this done on say the 6x6 polaris's so I think it could work just on a larger scale. This would give you a large area of contact on the rear which makes for more traction. I was thinking i could get 2 tire chains and just string them together to make the stretch. I would almost be like a half track! I think this may be a better option instead of a fron locker.

162tcat

Lots of great info. I think I'm going to call the eaton tech support line on monday and see what they have to say about this application.

Bolkbich

The biggest problem with a locker in the front is when both tires are spinning you slide sideways, with locking hubs you can unlock one side and get thru an off camber situation. I've had lockers in the front of jeeps,Light trucks and heavy trucks for 25 years and in a straight flat situation they rock but on the slightest incline with all tires spinning you dont know where your gonna end up. In a situation where your rears are in the mud your fronts are out of the mud and your trying to turn the strain on the front is tremendous because they arent just pulling the truck they are fighting each other... the light trucks arent so bad but the 5 ton had me cringing .... and amazed it didnt break. My choice would be chains on all 6 (put 14.00"s on it)open front and lockers in both rears.

91W350

On my 715, when climbing steep slopes, if the front tires slipped, it wanted to swap ends as the nose was heavier. Frequently it would bounce a couple of times and leave you with the front end off of your intended path. In slick mud, it was easy to find the ditch as the roads are all crowned or slope one way, so it would slide into the ditch. Once in the ditch, it did a fair job of moving, just not where I wanted it to. It did not bother at all in two wheel drive, I do not remember any banging, torque steer, etc. What you could hear though was clicking like it was ratcheting.

I thought the Detroit would allow one wheel to coast faster than the other, but not allow one wheel to be driven faster than the other. Any amount of power during a turn would lock it and you could feel it pulling back towards straight. You will have a slipping tire or two or three with Detroits in both ends and the truck pulling hard. It is a tire chirping, wheel hopping mess on a solid surface, under power with the transfer case locked.

That being said, I felt the benefits out weighed the negatives and if I were to build another M715, I would put lockers in both ends. You just learn to drive around the Detroits a little.

Superthermal

I agree, my 5 ton doesn't really have horsepower though! I'm going to buy a Detroit for the front and give it a try. I'll be sure to report back and let everyone know my experience. In the meantime, if anyone out there is running a Detroit in the front, I'd love to hear your opinion.
I plan on running a front locker in my M813. Were you ever able to get one installed? Any thoughts?

162tcat

Don’t do it unless it’s strictly a mud truck. It was almost unstoppable but had a mind of its own. The steering wheel was a suggestion and the truck may or may not go that way depending on the type of terrain. Air locker would be ideal to use when needed to get unstuck then unlock.

From my experience, a locker in 1 rear axle provides the best overall improvement. Both rears will cause it to walk to the ditch in snow or other slick conditions. 1 locker and 1 open rear gives good traction and tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superthermal

Don’t do it unless it’s strictly a mud truck. It was almost unstoppable but had a mind of its own. The steering wheel was a suggestion and the truck may or may not go that way depending on the type of terrain. Air locker would be ideal to use when needed to get unstuck then unlock.

From my experience, a locker in 1 rear axle provides the best overall improvement. Both rears will cause it to walk to the ditch in snow or other slick conditions. 1 locker and 1 open rear gives good traction and tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply.
Were you able to do this with a 800 series? With the M813s self disengauging transfercase I would think it would on the road be the same as driving a Jeep with the hubs left locked but the transfer-case unlocked. I have friends who have rigs like this and have felt it was fine. I will take your recommendation seriously as sliding heavy face down a slippery side slope is not my idea of fun.

deathrowdave

My Power Wagon has LSD in both front and rear Dana 60 axles . They are Dana Power Lock , these are not the same as a Detroit Locker , but this thing will absolutely drive anywhere on this planet with ease . Add the locker and never look back .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks